Sign in to follow this  

KYB Fork Oil Weight?

Ok all you suspension gurus, I have a question :applause:

I am a novice MX rider/racer, bottoming out my stock, '04 YZ250F suspension on almost every jump. I'm 36 years young & I weigh 200lbs, and rather than shipping out my stuff to get serviced, I have some skillz with tools, so I want to DIY, and learn from this! I have a clean shop to work in, and I'm going to invest in all the proper, suspension tools.

-I plan on tearing the forks apart, and replacing the springs (with .46's), the seals, and the fluid. I know that if I use a higher viscosity fluid, I can increase the damping in the forks for both compression and rebound, which I would like. So here's my question:

For my weight and riding style, what do you all recommend? No, I'm not trying to be James Stewart or RC, but I would like the bike to be a little stiffer, for racing.

And stiffer is better, right?

Thanks in advance!:lol:

I'd suggest that you check on the shock spring rate, as well, since it is all a system. I'd go for stock weight oil and adjust the clickers. If that doesn't get it, then come back with your revalve suggestion question. :-)

You are a little heavy for a 250f.

.46 fork springs should help maybe a 5.4 on the back as well.

I think I have both of these lying around from my revalve if you need them.

remember heavier springs will require heavier rebound settings.

I bet you could get away with just the springs.

And lastly, No its not the heavier the better. A too stiff suspension will not soak up the bumps.

You want your suspension to bottom one or twice per lap.

Ok- thanks for the advice.

Since this is my first stab at this, what fluid weight/brand do you recommend?

I'll do the shock too, to keep it all balanced.

R_Little: what's the story on the springs you say you have? How much do you want for them?

Thanks again!