Sign in to follow this  

Ankle Injury

I injured my ankle racing on Sunday. I went to Doc on Monday, got an xray. He said what I have is technically considered a fracture but said it can be considered a level 3 sprain. He said the ligament tore some of the bone away? I didn't get a chance to see the X-rays, and they are sending them to a radiologist so that I can get an official diagnosis. They put me in one of those walking casts. The doc didn't seem too concerned, but it seemed like I had to pry information from him as far as rehibilitation. He said to wear this boot for a couple of days and then just get back into walking with my regular shoe. I am kind of concerned about his lack of isntruction. I couldn't even get the office to give me anything in writing as to what they had diagnosed, since they said they had to wait until the radiologist examined the x-rays??? Since I can't count on them to be forthcoming, are there certain questions I should raise when I call them back or revisit them?

Also, are there supplements I can take to help heal faster?

I thought I remember reading that getting back into full use even if there's some pain is better because it prompts things to heal faster? Is that just for bone breaks?

Thanks for the link!

So, after using this air cast for stabalization, it says to begin walking, with crutches being discouraged? So It's better to begin walking even with a limp than it is to continue to use the larger air cast?

Should I be any more concerned since he said that there was some damage to the bone even though he said it's technically a fracture but more like a sprain?

I'll have to find a place to get one of those ankle braces to begin.

How do you feel about wrapping ankles? I've read that it depends on how it's wrapped, espicially while taping it to make sure it's not twisted in an unnatural way.

This site here lists some exercises? Are these good ones to follow?

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/anklesprain/anklesprain.html

So, after using this air cast for stabalization, it says to begin walking, with crutches being discouraged? So It's better to begin walking even with a limp than it is to continue to use the larger air cast? I THNK THAT BOOT IS WAY TOO MUCH FOR AN ANKLE SPRAIN. AFTER A GUY STRETCHES HIS HEEL CORD OUT, AND PRACTICES FOR A BIT, THE LIMP USUALLY GOES AWAY AFTER ON SESSION WITH THE TRAINER

Should I be any more concerned since he said that there was some damage to the bone even though he said it's technically a fracture but more like a sprain? THE SPRAIN-FRACTURE HAS A BETTE PROGNOSIS THAN THE SIMPLE SPRAIN

I'll have to find a place to get one of those ankle braces to begin.

How do you feel about wrapping ankles? THE AIR STIRRUP BRACE SERVES T HE SAME PURPOSE, BUT ITS RESUABLE AND EASIER TO APPLY I've read that it depends on how it's wrapped, espicially while taping it to make sure it's not twisted in an unnatural way.

This site here lists some exercises? Are these good ones to follow?

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handout...klesprain.html

THOSE ARE GOOD. HEEL CORD STRETCHING IS THE KEY

So, this morning my left foot seems a little puffy all the way around, most noticible on top, and has numbness on the left top side (outside). I was thinking it was maybe the brace I'm wearing, since I noticed this somewhat yesterday. I didn't sleep with the brace on, but the numbness and swelling are still there when I woke up. I put the brace on somewhat tight during the day to try to keep everything compressed.

I am able to walk somewhat normal now with this brace on, but I'm concerned that it may be numbness that's allowing me to move like this and not feel pain I'm supposed to be feeling.

you have to sleep with the foot elevated 8 inches above the heart.

Oh! I've just been putting a single pillow under there, maybe like 2 inches. Thanks for quick response once again!