Sign in to follow this  

Bike for girl friend?

Hello, I am new to the forum and i was looking around for a " what bike do i get? " sub-forum and didn't see one. So i decided to post in this section. My girl friend wants to get into ridding and I'm wondering what bike to put her on.

She is 5'5, 115LBS, very little ridding expeirence, we will be doing harescrambles and ridding in woods. I ride a CR250 and my friend rides a yz400F. I was thinking somthing like a ttr125l like when i first started, but she dosen't want to sell it when shes ready to move up and go threw all that hassel. So i was thinking should i try and find her a 125 or 100 right off the bat and just watch her? She has road my bike so i think she will be fine ( i hope :applause: ).

Just looking for opionions. My friend has a 1995 kx100 for sale for 700 and all it needs is new tires which is pretty cheap, but im kind of sketchy about buying a 1995 for her. I haven't owned anything under 01.

Thanks

My Gf's First Bike was an Xr 100... Grew out of it after 2 rides. So she went and picked her self up a CRF 230... perfect bike!! She had no Dirtbike, or Motorcycle experience, just the common stick shift knowledge. I would highly recommend the CRF230, nice smooth power, push button start, and after she outgrows that, all I have to do is upgrade the exhaust/suspension, instead of getting a new bike, and she should be good to go!

Get her one of those '07 CRF150R's! It may not have electric start but with her low body weight, she'll be able to rip on it when she gains more confidence!

I dont need an electric start she can kick start my cr250. I really want to get her on a two stroke. She said she dosen't want a trail bike so i guess those are out of the question for now, but I'm sure if we come across a good one for a good price it will come back into play.

I was thinking a 2 stroke 100 or 125? I dont want her on a racing 4 stroke due to if they break it costs a shit load.

you can pick up 5 yr old 125's for a song. look for yamaha, they have had the best for about a decade.

You want to put her on a 2 stroke why???

The learning curve is much better on a 4 stroke, and the risks associated with the inevitable 'momentary loss of throttle control' is much less on a 4 than a 2.

an xr200 would be great, thats what i learned, well that and a xr100 and it was bullet proof (1990). You can find them pretty cheap, really low maintenince, like check oil and add gas, thats pretty much all you have to do. And there mellow.

i recomend a crf 150/230, but the 125 isn't a bad bike either

Because she said she dosen't want a trail bike. She dosen't want to go threw the hassel of selling it and waiting for another bike. She would just rather get a bigger bike and tough it out for a little bit. She cant tippy toe my 250, how big is a 125 compared to a 250? Seat height wise, i might have to do some mods to the seat.

Or she might pick up my friends kx100 for 700.

Get her one of those '07 CRF150R's! It may not have electric start but with her low body weight, she'll be able to rip on it when she gains more confidence!
My girlfriend has a ttr 125 and she wants the new crf150. I agree, if you can afford it, buy her the new crf 150.

If you CAN'T afford it get her the CRF150"F" model. It's still pretty cheap and you may be able to find a used one, and BBR has tons of hop up parts for them so the bikes abilities can grow with hers...

A KX100 is a good choice if you are on a budget. Don't be afraid of an older bike if you get it for cheap enough. Two strokes are cheap and easy to rebuild. I'd recommend a flywheel weight to smooth the hit.

The ideal bike would be a CRF150R Expert with a 9oz flywheel weight and an MRD torque header. That's what my wife rides and she loves it. The only downside is it will cost you 4x as much $$$ as the old KX100.

A KDX 200 if you want a 2 stroke, xr 200 if you want 4 stroke. KDX would be my choice.

Ant, check out the Thumpettes' forum. There's a great sticky on there about new riders and selecting bikes for them. I think it was written by Firecracker.

the 125 has almost the same seat height as a 250. But you can shave the seat lower the suspension etc. so if she doesn't want a trail bike the get a 125.

Ant, check out the Thumpettes' forum. There's a great sticky on there about new riders and selecting bikes for them. I think it was written by Firecracker.

Ok, thanks headed there right now!

kx100 would be great i think, i had one when i was younger and abused the shit out of it and nothing EVER broke. Also you would be surprised how much power they have.