Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 '01 - '02 power differences

I've done a search on the differences between an '01 and '02 YZ250, and it looks like they're pretty close to the same bike (except the plastics). But I read somewhere that they changed some things in the motor in the '02 and it has a different power curve. I'm looking for one of these bikes to use for off-road and trail riding. Can someone tell me the differences between the '01 and '02 motors and their power bands? And any recommendations for which one makes a better off-road bike would be appreciated.

I have an 01 which i use extensively for off road and it is great. Don't quote me on this as this is hearsay but reports are that the 02 frame was a fair bit stiffer than the 01, power wise there is nothing in it, the 02 has a slightly heavier flywheel, a little bit more over rev and a slightly higher 2nd gear.

the advantage with the 02 is there is alot bigger range of decals for them.

Brm gave good info. One difference was the torque spacer yamaha added in 02. This dropped the power lower in the rpm range.

I thing it would be fairly easy to make either engine different. As mentioned the bodywork was a big difference in looking at the bike, but a very small one while riding the bike.

If I were faced with a decision on which to buy, I would get the one with the lowest amount of hours.