Sign in to follow this  

Anyone know where to get one of these?

I sheared the head off of this bolt which is from a Baja Designs auxiliary oil tank. Baja Designs doesn't make them anymore so they had no spare parts. I't looks like it took a hit on the head of the bolt. I'm always careful about not over tightening but there is not much bolt left with the holes and it probably twisted a little each time I changed the oil.

This bolt replaces the oil drain bolt. It is hollow the entire length and has a small hole drilled through it near the head to let the oil pass between the motor and the tank via a banjo fitting.

Before I try to drill one myself, I wanted to see if anyone knows of a source where I can buy one. It looks like it was manufactured hollow and the drilled at the top.

I removed the tank for now but I'd like to put it back on for dual sporting and a Baja trip coming up in April.

Does anyone know where I can get a hollow bolt?

Thanks

P1010026.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010024.jpg.

Not much help here on where to get one, but rest assured that bolt failure was eminent. The threads act as stress risers and (along with the holes) greatly reduce fatigue strength. That looks like nothing more than a plain-jane metric bolt that was drilled.

A 'custom' bolt wouldn't have the feed hole for the banjo fitting cross drilled through a threaded portion of the bolt. Look at any factory banjo fitting (on anything) and you'll see what I mean.

You should be able to replicate the bolt fairly easy...a competent machinist friend would come in handy. Try to use a bolt that isn't threaded all the way to avoid the same problem in the future. Good luck.

I agree, this is a poor design and it was only a matter of time until it failed. The bolt appears to be manufactured with the hole down its length and then drilled for the banjo fitting. I was hoping that I could find the bolt and drill the top myself. I'll get a bolt with a solid shank at the top and stop by a machinist friend to fabricate another one. No big deal, just another errand to run. Thanks for your input.:applause:

KJ - how did you break it?

I have that tank on my 2004 450R but I use an SRC bashplate (cost a ton!!) which wraps all round the engine.

KJ - how did you break it?

Hard to say. If you look at the photo the bolt head looks like it took a hit. I have a full BD skid plate that pretty much covers everything. I thought it was striped out cause I could feel it give when I tightened it the last few times so i didn't torque it down too much but it was leaking a bit for the last couple of rides. This last oil change I thought, screw it if its striped its striped. I

went ahead and tried to get it tighter and the head twisted off. I glad it was the bolt and not a striped case.

Keep an eye on yours cause there's not much bolt left with the two holes drilled through it. I'm going top fabricate a new one with no threads at the banjo fitting to give it a bit more strength. You might want to do the same so you have a spare. If you change your oil often... It's eventually going to fail.

Hard to say. If you look at the photo the bolt head looks like it took a hit. I have a full BD skid plate that pretty much covers everything. I thought it was striped out cause I could feel it give when I tightened it the last few times so i didn't torque it down too much but it was leaking a bit for the last couple of rides. This last oil change I thought, screw it if its striped its striped. I

went ahead and tried to get it tighter and the head twisted off. I glad it was the bolt and not a striped case.

Keep an eye on yours cause there's not much bolt left with the two holes drilled through it. I'm going top fabricate a new one with no threads at the banjo fitting to give it a bit more strength. You might want to do the same so you have a spare. If you change your oil often... It's eventually going to fail.

yeah I think I'll get it looked at but I havent had to do the oil much as havent done a stac of miles.

The only problem I've had is 2 spark plugs - weird I know but replaced em and the bike runs like a champ.

The only problem I've had is 2 spark plugs - weird I know but replaced em and the bike runs like a champ.

I think the spark plug in my bike was the original stocker for the past two or three years. I threw a new one in when I did the top end just because everything else was new.