Sign in to follow this  

Newb Question

Hi guys & gals, This is my 1st post. I have been reading around here for the past few days, trying to educate myself on the abundance of info, you have here. Lots of good info to absorb. I have a few questions. My friend who has a pitbike insists that I should buy a bike that allows you to start it in any gear. He said, there are bikes that wont allow you to start in gear. What is the general census around here about this? Is there any major factor in which tire size (10/8) 12/14?? I go with, or is it a issue of quality of tire? I'm not going to be racing this bike, I'm 34 yrs old and just looking for something to have fun with. I'm not going to be impersonating Ricky Carmichael any time soon :applause: I just want something with good top end and that can handle my weight (160lbs) with no issues. I dont have much over $1K to spend. I'm really liking the looks/price of the Orion. I have contemplated this one as well...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Piranha-125cc-Pit-Bike-w-oil-cooler-has-CRF-50_W0QQitemZ330098005862QQcategoryZ100470QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you guys have any tips or advise I'm all ears.

TIA & nice place you have here.

not sure either..keep seein doug S and austin collins down here in florida rippin on em...i am sure he can find a Thumperstar then

ya dude with your price to spend i would go with a ssrc4 $1100 shipped or the orion29 $895 shipped.. the bike u were looking at one ebay was $1100 and then$199 shipping with that price you could get a nice ssr or a pitster pro.....i would look for a seat hight of 30in and get 14/12 tires and adjustable shocks just becuase of age not to be an axx but its true back problems i know.... well i hope this helps

not sure either..keep seein doug S and austin collins down here in florida rippin on em...i am sure he can find a Thumperstar then

Yeah, Doug and Austin are riding for Thumpstar (both great riders by the way). Terra Moto is not tied to Thumpstar anymore. Terra Moto used to be Thumpstar EU, but changed there name to Terra Moto and designed new bikes. Now they are looking for a US distributor for their product.

Yeah, Doug and Austin are riding for Thumpstar (both great riders by the way). Terra Moto is not tied to Thumpstar anymore. Terra Moto used to be Thumpstar EU, but changed there name to Terra Moto and designed new bikes. Now they are looking for a US distributor for their product.

Terra Moto looks sick ! I belive I saw them before in Ireland, and never found them here in the US. Makes sense now. The bikes look fresh, not even sharing traditional plastics or anything. Thanks for the info !

Poster: I am going to be 30 and nearly 200 lbs and if you are my sise, i would say that 14/12 makes it easier on you. I have a ton of injuries stacked up from years of riding and the bigger the better. Too cramped = too much pain :applause: (look at my avatar to the left). As far as the motor, my orion only starts in neutral ... it is a toss up really, whatever you want. Good luck and keep us posted !

thanks for the tips. I really like the looks of the Orion! The frame looks pretty sweet, but the I found out the frame is j-channel'd and is not solid. It's not really that big of a deal, just my personal preferance.

I'm 5'7 and weigh about 160. I have never broken a bone in my body...knock on wood! My point is, I'm not going to be getting all kinds of buck wild.

After much deliberation, I'm goping to go with the OGM 125SX. I'm paying a little bit more than I wanted to, but feel I'm getting a better value. Thats not to say I am, just that I *think* I am. Should be $1100 shipped to my door.

I spoke with the the guy selling the bike, he mentioned having a 140 head coming out in the near future. Not that I'm interested, I just thought I would pass along the information.

thanks for the tips. I really like the looks of the Orion! The frame looks pretty sweet, but the I found out the frame is j-channel'd and is not solid.

Saw some at the open practice tonight at OWC..i would not recommend them...

My bad about the terra moto post...i looked into it tonight. Thumpstar AUS is now Terra Moto and Thumpstar USA is still just Thumpstar. There fast riders ride for Thumpstar USA not AUS. Doug might be able to add more

Saw some at the open practice tonight at OWC..

I was talking to Ros (owner of Thumpstar USA) and Kendall (owner of Cat 5) yesterday and they were both really pumped about all the big races in FL this weekend. Sounds like there is a whole h*ll of a lot of racing happening there.

Sorry, for robbing the thread.

the way i understood it thumpstar changed their name in australia as there are to many knock off's using exactly the same sticker kits but the name is thumbstar and when the knock off's were breaking and stuff people confussed them so they have change to terra moto

I was talking to Ros (owner of Thumpstar USA) and Kendall (owner of Cat 5) yesterday and they were both really pumped about all the big races in FL this weekend. Sounds like there is a whole h*ll of a lot of racing happening there.

Sorry, for robbing the thread.

ya should be awesome..tons of big names racing! only one we are missing is costella! haha hopefully the rain holds off

The Thumpstar is the same as an Xtreme CR3, just imported under a different name in the US.

After much deliberation, I'm goping to go with the OGM 125SX. I'm paying a little bit more than I wanted to, but feel I'm getting a better value. Thats not to say I am, just that I *think* I am. Should be $1100 shipped to my door.

It's a awsome bike.I had a rcm same as the ogm but with the phase 4 suspension.The ogm has the phase 3 suspension which is good but not quite as good as the phase4.The bike is solid and can handle big hit's with no issues.Very solid performer that you will be happy with.

If your still looking into the agb29. I've got nothing bad to say about it at all. I rode one for the last year and put it to the test. It never let me down. The thing that i found is that when it comes time for upgrades, your better off to spend the extra cash on a bike with as many as possible so not to over do your investment. Like the guy said. What you pay for it and what you get out of it at selling time is two different things.