04 KDX200 Mods?

PIPE PIPE PIPE. That is where I noticed the difference. It was night and day. I went with the gnarly woods pipe simply to get a bit more torque. I have not ridden the bike without reeds in it (previous owner put them in) but a lot of guys swear by them. Go to www.kdxrider.net they have a lot of good info.

For power:

1. Open up the airbox. Some remove the lid, others remove it completely. Combine this with #2 . . . FREE

2. JETTING!! Learn what you can about jetting. Learn about a wide open throttle chop and get the righ main jet in the carb. Pilot jet as well. Your pal will likely end up with something like a 152/150 on the main, 42/40 on the pilot (assuming you're not at extreme altitudes). Your friend will be greatful to you if you help him with this. $25

3. Another vote for a pipe. I have the "rev" or "desert" FMF gnarly but I have a 220. If your friend does more tight, woods trails the "torque" or "woods" gnarly will likely suit him best; the rev is preferred if he likes to be on the pipe or for more wide open riding. $200

4. Aftermarket reeds. Boyesen 607 power reeds or Vforce, the 607's are more $$ friendly. 607 - $50, vforce - $140

5. There's more modding that can be done, but by the time your buddy gets here he will have likely researched it more and will know where to go to next.

Just as important is the suspension:

1. Get the proper spring rating and replace those stock springs (unless your buddy weighs 135 lb or so). $100

2. Reduce preload. 12mm is a good start. Nearly free

3. Remove a few of the shims in the base valve. Free

4. Same as number 5 above.

This should keep you guys busy and you'll learn a ton in the process.

A great starting "project" would be: airbox mod, jetting, pipe, proper spring, proper preload. $325 He'll feel like he has a different bike.

+1 on what Yamajeb said, I have done basically all the same mods on my 2003 KDX200 and it's a totally different machine from stock. You'll be amazed at how much more power you get after figuring the jetting out and a FMF Gnarley pipe.

if he has enough money, watch ebay. look for kx 125/250 forks, then adjust for woods. verry well worth it. go on kdxrider.net for how to do the process.

My friend just bought a 04 kDX 200 and I was wondering what kind of mods he can do to it. (Reccommendations) pipe, reeds, silencer, and etc... anything would help. Thanks :applause:

The biggest power gag on all the KDX's is the stock "forrestry friendly" pipe and silencer. Add A Pro Circut pipe and a 304 silencer, and you will loose about 5 lbs, and gain serious midrange and top end. I've driven both, stock, and P/C'ed, and a truly amazing difference in power after being piped !

if he has enough money, watch ebay. look for kx 125/250 forks, then adjust for woods. verry well worth it. go on kdxrider.net for how to do the process.

Are those a direct swap? What about for a 98 KDX 220?

Are those a direct swap? What about for a 98 KDX 220?

No the KXs are upside down forks where as the KDXs have been conventionals for all but the early 90s I think.