Sign in to follow this  

sanding shims?

I recently was told that you cant sand valve shims to achieve your target clearance.I personaly have done this many,many,times being an owner of a 04 crf250 you would go broke buying shim kits .Am I the only one who does this?

I personally wouldn't do it, b/c you would never get a totally square top of the shim where you sanded, and it could actuate the valve a little bit off and cause wear that is not needed...

Just pick up yourself a hotcams valve shim kit for $85 vs. paying $40 for 4 shims from honda for 1 valve adjustment... You get 3 of all the sizes from 1.20 to the top shim, I think it is 3mm, they come in .05mm increments and it works out to roughly $0.60 a shim, great deal, and you know that you did the job properly. :applause:

You really need to get a hotcam shim kit! saves a ton of time and money.

Check ebay, i know there is one for sale there. :applause:

Todd.

Just order the shims you need through honda. It's not that pricey. I did 4 shims for $20 canadian.

How did you get 4 shims for $20 CAD? :applause: , when I had to re-shim my bike, they were around $9 a shim, it was around $40 w/ taxes for me, w/ a 15% discount...

I definitely need to get a hotcams valve shim kit for my bike, before I need to do it again.

ive done it in a pinch if i dont have the correct size shims, but i bought a couple of valve kits from hot cams as well, highly recommended. plus all the 250f's pretty much use the same diameter shims so i picked up a yamaha kit too and have all the bases covered since they generally run different sizes :applause: