Sign in to follow this  

xr400?

i have a thread in general but i thought id ask here. i currently have a 2004 husky TE250. i love it but it just isnt made for lond trips in the desert. i was thinking about getting an xr400 to ride on long trips and such. will i be happy with one? is there anythign wrong with them? ive always heard they are some of the best bikes(next to XR650s) fo desert and trails, but i just want to make sure.

thanks

I think they do real good. It's why I decided to keep my 2000 model and just put some money into it last year instead of opting for a new bike. It's got a cushy seat for long trips, will do 90 miles on the stock tank. I guess the longest 1 day trailride I've had mine on is 120 miles. And was ready for more.

i have a thread in general but i thought id ask here. i currently have a 2004 husky TE250. i love it but it just isnt made for lond trips in the desert. i was thinking about getting an xr400 to ride on long trips and such. will i be happy with one? is there anythign wrong with them? ive always heard they are some of the best bikes(next to XR650s) fo desert and trails, but i just want to make sure.

thanks

I don't think you can go wrong with the xr400. I have a crf250 that is great but I've been leary about taking it for a long trip, so I went out and got the xr400. From what I hear from the guys here in TT, this thing is bullet proof. It's like that eveready rabbit on TV. It just keeps going and going. :applause:

another option.

shoudl i get a tall and softer seat for my current bike, get the suspension reworked so its softer, and maybe look into a steering stabilizer?

that way i dhave 1 sweet bike instead of 2 stock bikes. just a though. about $1000 should be able to get a steering stabilizer, seat, suspension work. then a little more for an IMS tank.

another option.

shoudl i get a tall and softer seat for my current bike, get the suspension reworked so its softer, and maybe look into a steering stabilizer?

that way i dhave 1 sweet bike instead of 2 stock bikes. just a though. about $1000 should be able to get a steering stabilizer, seat, suspension work. then a little more for an IMS tank.

Wrong forum for that question, can't say much about how a Husky 250 is with a softer suspension, seat and a steering stabilizer.

The XR400 is a great bike with a lot of torque and is a reliable beast. You can't go wrong in getting one for the application you are describing.

This is your decision to make, don't ask us which one we should choose, we aren't you. All we can do is say stuff that should guide you towards what you really want.

XR are about the best bikes period in my opinion. Bullet proof as a tank. If they fall over you don't have to worry about screwing up a radiator. Just standard maintence and they go for a long time. I have a MX bike (ktm 300exc) and a trail bike... honda (xr400) i don't think I will ever get rid of my xr... I don't understand why they stopped making them... they could be a lot better with modern shocks and other improvements.... oh well I still love my xr4.

would it really take any mods to make them good? or are they prety good stock?

the 1 reason i like te idea of having 2 bikes is so if 1 is down i still have something to ride. and the power will be way different from my husky.

i know you cant tell me what i should do, i just kinda dont have the question worded correctly.

The bikes are great stock, but with a couple mods and a re-jetting the bike completely wakes up. The mods are also free except for the jets. Pulling the snorkel and modifying the exhaust tip.

basically sounds like tha same mods i did to my CRF230F wheni had it, pull the snorkel, pull the baffle, rejet. boom tons more power

XR are about the best bikes period in my opinion. Bullet proof as a tank. If they fall over you don't have to worry about screwing up a radiator. Just standard maintence and they go for a long time. I have a MX bike (ktm 300exc) and a trail bike... honda (xr400) i don't think I will ever get rid of my xr... I don't understand why they stopped making them... they could be a lot better with modern shocks and other improvements.... oh well I still love my xr4.
I agree with you completely Brolo - When I bought my KTM I wisely kept my 97 XR 250. And yeah, it is too bad they stopped making em......If they had that motor in a CRF type frame and suspension set up they would sell a billion of them.

another option.

Forget the steering stablizer and redo the steering bearings. You can do the suspension work yourself and save about 350+, seat would be wise but you could just get softer foam and pull the staples on your stock seat and put that on too.

OR you could buy a stock xr4 do the gordon mods and have a sweet trailblazen bullet proof tank.... granted its a little heavy (around 260+ lbs) and a little tall if you a short rider. You can fix the height problem. The weight problem would require a lot of work and a lot of money.