Sign in to follow this  

What would be the ultimate ATV motor?

Just wonder what you guys think.

CR500? XR600? I know there are alot of really good motors out there.

Lets keep streetbike motors out.

A Yamaha Phazer engine coupled to a conventional gearbox would be sweet. So would an Aprilia RXV engine. Or a power valved Banshee engine.

The Rap700 engine is awsome. I like twins for the HP potential. But four stroke singles offer the best potential traction. KTM's new 525 quad (not the Polaris Outlaw) should be really good.

For ultimate power, I'd like to see a 800 cc 2 stroke snowmobile engine with a conventional transmission. It's likely to be pretty heavy, but will easily produce upwards of 100 hp.

A Yamaha Phazer engine coupled to a conventional gearbox would be sweet. So would an Aprilia RXV engine. Or a power valved Banshee engine.

The Rap700 engine is awsome. I like twins for the HP potential. But four stroke singles offer the best potential traction. KTM's new 525 quad (not the Polaris Outlaw) should be really good.

The Polaris 525 has a KTM 525 motor in it.

One of the mechanics at the local motorcycle shop that i am currently doing co-op at put a 600cc 2 cylinder snowmobile engine in a Polaris scrambler. He said the thing absolutely rips.

The Polaris 525 has a KTM 525 motor in it.

I know. It's called the Outlaw 525. KTM is also coming out with their own 450 and 525 quads. I probably wasn't clear.

ATK Intimidator 700 2-stroke. Yes they still make them.

YES SIR! thats what i was thinking, man id love to get one of those

A friend of mine has a CR1000. Two CR500 cylinders custom mated to one case. That is even more radical than his RZ500 quad.

I heard the CR1000 was a fake? I don't know--just asking. Have you actually seen one, othe than the pick on the trickracing1 website?

for Dunes: KTM 950 super enduro motor (especially if you can turbo it). Bombardier-rotax rev 1000, ATK 700 intimidator. KTM 550sx, cr500.

Other apps: Ktm 300 or 380 2-stroke. new KTM 450 motor. aprilia 450 or 550 v-twins.

depending on the quad frame, if you could find a blaster frame and make it slightly lower a ktm 380 2 stroke engine:applause: . that would make it a crazy fast machine, it would be absolutly crazy, a lightweight engine and a lightweight frame, it would smoke the banshee every time if it could get traction. im looking at lightweight, if you put a bombardier 1000 engine in there, it would have monstrous horsepower but would weigh to much for the dunes(i assume that is your primary objective-to make a dune bike) that would be upwards of 55-65 horsepower stock(with hopup potential) and a total package under 350 lbs thats more horsepower and less weight than a stock banshee. it sounds good to me.

I would have liked to see the XR650 motor in a quad. Supposedly Honda prototyped it but back off when Yamaha came out with the Raptor. Now they are probably researching something better because they would look pretty silly bringing an air cooled motor to an open class quad when Yamaha is running a liquid cooled, EFI motor in their open class quad.

The XR650L is air cooled. The XR650R is liquid cooled.

The Blaster chassis isn't very good for full sized people. It's way too short.