Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a stock end cap...

I hope this is allowed here, as I read that it is not allowed in the classified section. I drilled out the end cap on my '03 KLX400R (same as DRZ 'E') and would like to go back to stock (really quiet) for some of the areas I ride in. Does anyone have an end cap lying around that they would like to get rid of? If so, please PM me. Thank you!

There's got to be one buried under all those extra take-off parts in someone's garage! (bump!)

A lot of guys have modded thiers, some with regrets. They in turn have aready stripped a lot of the spares, so it is a rare commopitiy. To make matters worse, you cannot buy a new one from Suzuki, only a complete muffler. Ther is a outfit in AU that makes them, but they are very restrictive and you would have to modify it to get the performance level of stock.

You can place a Ad in the classifieds, just preface it with "WTB".

WRdad - Improvise. It is not difficult to make (or have made) an insert that goes in the endcap to reduce the hole size back to original or any size you choose. A custom aluminum bushing or maybe something off the shelf from Home Depot.

William,

Specifically, what regrets have some people had?

Thanks

William,

Specifically, what regrets have some people had?

Thanks

First, what does drilling the end cap do?

It increases sound level, virtually no performance gain.

What happens?

A hole is drilled. A little louder, So, lets try a little larger.... and so the walk down the path of a too loud stock pipe begins.

After a period, the person decides "This loud with no other benefit" I cannot afford a real pipe and I might as well be more stealthy." or some such thing.

Sound familiar?

So the hunt for a stock end cap is started.

Place the Ad in the classifieds as a WTB. You may have to get a complete take off just to get the end cap.

You might be able to restore your old one IF you can repair the old one. You'd want to borrow a buddies cap to remind yourself how it is built stok, dimensions, ect.

Just tack weld a washer from the inside back into the opening if you want it quiet again...

insert4-1.jpg

insert5.jpg

This little round insert was made from a copper plumbing fitting, and the quiet core was made from electrical tubing. It actually worked quite well before I changed to the Supertrapp mod.

Greg

I have an un-modified complete factory exhaust system off my 2007 DRZ 400E. I rode it in the dirt last Saturday for a total run time of about 3 hours. Otherwise, it is showroom new.

Anyone wanna make a reasonable offer before it goes on ebay?

Dale

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the advice. I'll probably just ride it until an end cap comes along. It's not that loud. Just looking to be a little quieter for some of the areas I ride in.

For what it's worth, I cut out my end cap hoping to make it sound better, knowing that it really doesn't improve performance. In my opinion though, the sound isn't much better than stock, just a little louder.