Sign in to follow this  

Baja Results

if the new husky's are so great,how come the fast guy's dont ride them?husky used to rule baja in the old days!looks like honda,honda,honda.makes you want to puke!

BH came in 4th in Class 21 ands 8th in Class 30. Both classes extremly fast, riders all finishing close to each other. Less than 3.5 minutes seperated 1st thru 4th place in Class 21 over the 221 mile course. Huskys are good, but more riders have Hondas with Honda wheels and Honda pits. Making slow enroads into this as it takes time with a 20 year absence by Husky.

The best riders go where the money is,who can blame them.

Yeah now that Honda is the only "factory" team it's not surprising.:applause:

Bottom line is exactly this. It takes BIG MONEY to have a team that is in contention for the OVER-ALL WIN. Like some of the budgets are in excess of$300,000.00. Now what I am saying it can be done but is a lot harder working with limited budgets and resources. The biggest advantage we have is the product it is really the best for this type of diversified type of racing,RR,TT,MX,SX,TRIALS,SUPER MOTO. Some of the Baja Races are Sprints, some are endurance this one being a sprint 1 flat and your out 1 crash same deal . With all racing no matter how hard you work and the amount of effort put into it if you run out of Luck your results may not be what was hoped for. We ran out 1/2 way thru the race the Class 20 bike (Ryan) was 1st physically thru Valley Trenidad after rider change 10 miles motor started making ugly noises( bearing ??). Class 21 Bike involved in crash very early (6-10 miles) Mexican IED into blinding sun,dust requiring down time to continue(Graham). 1/2 way at rider change running 2 or 3rd not sure but close on the lead. (Chad) Pushing hard looses front end takes a dirt sample,gets passed, gets to pit now in 4th, bike seems ok, now he's on a mission. Passes 6 bikes couple Class 21"s Hi speed dirt sample#2 70+mph shift lever jammed into ign cover stuck in 4th, stops bends it out still rubbing case but able to shift? Hi speed #3 95+ hit rock in road back end kicks out head shakes BAD cart wheel (BIG TIME WADEM UP) sub frame pretzled, brake pedal toe clip c'ya get's back up had enough fun for the day. Cruzes to the finish for 7th. Why? the Scotts bolt on tower pin started moving down causing the stabilizer to jam first then become inoperative, never seen that before so now have to weld or pin it. My fault just hadn't seen that before. glad he's only scratched and not wadded like the bike. Both Team's can't wait for the 500 June 1st. They are really PUMPED. Bikes are starting to get prepped as of 2 days ago. The really Bad luck hit us 2 days before the race when my starting rider for the Class 21 bike (Brett) We had gone to sign up parked his Ford E-350 4x4 w/all his riding gear, clothes,money, CRF-450, 50 yards from the main enterance of the Hotel where sign-up was within 20 min it was gone All of it. Needless to say all were devistated felt it best for him to just go home and not race, so major reshuffling of sections and stratigies and more last minute pre-running for the riders to cover different sections they had not run. So felt we did OK considering. Their several good riders on Husqvarnas in Baja and more all the time. You bet we'll scratch our way to the top just takes some time. Later George

I was on the the 3X bike. A Honda-all four Husky's are still on a boat! It was a last minute deal and really i didnt take it that seriously.

Rider one waded big time while 3rd overall. Bike was TWEAKED!

I got on the wounded bike and just cruised for 70 miles, limping the last 20.

It was great to see the Husky's, but it was hard not to be on one! I had one Husky pass me, then i passed him back--realized it was a Husky!! SO i quickly pulled aside and let him go. Didnt want to slow down a Husky bro. :applause:

Awesome to see Uptite and Baja Husky down there.

I'm thinking about doing the 500 ironman. For Dakar practice. Trying to get SCORE to start an ironman class. For sure i will be there on a Husky either class 22, 40 or ironman.

In '06 there was Barnum/GP, Uptite, Baja Husky and myself. So thats 4 solid Husky teams--as well as a couple first timers. Not bad!

It will only grow. Husky has the best bikes for baja racing. :eek:

I was answering this thread last night and POOF! It went away just that fast.

Echoing Georges response earlier, money talks here. The A team form Honda started pre running this course last Sunday thru Thursday afternoon. 4 times per day times 5 days. They knew it well. There paid to ride so they were working all week. That is there job. My guys are paid too, but not to ride. They took time off from work (unpaid) and pre ran from Wed afternoon to Friday morning. Then they raced Saturday. Our Class 21 team tok 4th in class, but were not happy with finishing 4th. So all but one went home that morning at 9 am. One stayed, went to awards and stood in there place when the names were called out for 4th place podium finish.

Sponsor money (either Husky or private) will make the big difference here in allowing talented guys to take off from work, pre run and still pay there house bills while earning no money practicing and then racing.

The bikes are that good. The racers are that good. The award money isn't good, but the prestige is. Look at Chad Erl as an example. He won Class 20 on an 06 TC 250 last year. Ask him how much money he made racing Class 20? Ask him what bike manafacturer won the class. Husqvarna. First Husky win in a bike class in Score since 1984!:applause:

The bikes can compete. The riders can compete. The pits are there and could use more spares and parts, but they are in place. Currently only two Husky dealers contribute directly to Score race teams that I know of?

GP Cycles in San Diego and Uptite Husqvarna in Santa Ana.

BH's had parts help for racing the Score Baja 1000 last year from MotoXicia Husqvarna, Halls Husqvarna, Uptite Husqvarna and Tasky's Husqvarna. But all our direct Husky support came thru my local dealer, GP Husqvarna.com. (Paul, Issac and Josh). Husqvarna USA supported us, but GP was our sponsor.

So Husky is slowly gaining ground and will continue to whittle away at the Honda toe hold that has built up over the past 10 + years since Kawasaki left Baja.. We need a good Class 22 team to step up to the plate, be sponsored by a third shop and challenge the Honda A team in their own class. Our other teams meanwhile will continue to challenge Classes 20 Pro (Uptite), 21 Pro ( Joey Lane from BH, Chad Erl from Uptite). 30 Pro (Mitch Sanchez from BH) and 40 Pro (Jim Owens from BH and Brian Smuckle/Mike Kay from Moto Forsca).

Baja is up for grabs GUYS. Husqvarna can do it! GO HUSKY!

like mosses coming down from the mountain with the tablets.we are now enlightened.hopefully some one will come allong with 300,000.00 and get our husky's back on top where they belong.used to be the only way honda could win was to switch bikes.how things have changed.