Sign in to follow this  

Track Building

I didn't really know where else to post this but I am planing a new track on my property and I need dirt. Unfortunatly I live in southeast Georgia and the natural terrain dosen't really provide any hills. I have about three miles of flat curvy trails but I have to trailer my bike about 2 1/2 hours to Durhamtown to ride a decent track. I don't need to make a lot off huge jumps but I would like a couple of doubles and a big table top and I guess I will need some berms. I have a tractor with a box blade and I could rent a bobcat but does anyone know where you can buy clay and how much does it cost. When I built my house I bought dirt to build up the level for the pert test for the septic tank at about $60 a load for just regular dirt but I would think that I am going to need like ten loads of clay just for the jumps and turns. I just don't know where to get it. I mean they don't sell it a Wal-Mart. I have a double and a table top on one of my trails out of regular dirt and I have to work on them pretty regularly because they rut up quickly and rain tends to mess them up good. I guess to make a long question short. How much is dirt, and if any of you have your own track how did you go about setting it up.

Darby

dig a pond towards the back of your land if you have the extra room. I'm sure you have clay a few feet down there. This is the cheapest way imo. If you decide to move, fill the hole back in. Might need a load or two to completely fill it but if I had the land this is the option I would take.

Yeah I actually thought of that but where I am at it is completely flat. I talked to a guy who builds ponds and he said that if there is not a creek or spring or at least a natural depression so that rain run off will fill it with water. Basicly he looked at my land and said if he dug a hole that is what it would be just a hole. Most ponds just dam up some creek or run or something and that I just don't have and I just don't want a big hole thats only half full of water. That's my dilema.:applause:

Darby

you could dig down like a foot around a big area where the track will be so its flat and youll have a ton of dirt to use on the landings and then just buy a little clay for the takeoffs. it would be kind of weird having the whole thing down a foot or so but its better than buying a bunch or digging a big hole. and i guess you could make berms where its dug out

If your building your track in a field and elevations work (not being to low/standing water problems) Rent a dozer and scrape the top. You still might need a few loads of clay for jump faces. Being in Georgia clay shouldn't be a problem?

The price of clay all depends on where you find it. The price isn't really for the clay itself, thats generally pretty cheap, almost insignificant. The price comes from loading/trucking, and that can get spendy in a hurry.

I'd go with the 'already mentioned' method of scraping off a layer from the top. If you have more money than time, renting a dozer to come in is a very "efficient" method, they can move a lot of dirt in a hurry. If you have more time than money, your box blade behind the tractor will do the job too... will just take a lot longer. You would really be surprised at how much dirt you can come up with shaving it off the top of the tracks layout.

You most likely have some clay down there somewhere... But, unless you have very sandy soil, you don't really need that much clay. A thin layer on the jump faces is all you need. (unless your looking for a track that is completely hard-packed)

Our track was built without bringing anything in, what we thought was all black dirt and sand... had a lot of clay in spots. (We actually did bring some in, but didn't use it... saving it for quick touchups)

Good Luck building it! :applause:

Yeah I definately have more time than Money. I work on Ocean Going Tugboats so I work 3 weeks on and then 3 weeks off. My tractor could get me well on my way but the 3 point hitch on the back dosen't lift very high so it makes it difficult to build a jump very high but I could get everything started then rent the dozer to finish up and pack everything down good. I think I have found the right spot to build it that is pretty clear already and it has a slight, and I mean very slight downhill to it that I hope will aid in drainage.I go back to sea tomorrow so I will have a few weeks to do some planning. Thanks for the advice.

Darby

around here you can get dirt for free just put a sign that says CLEAN FILL WANTED and they dump dirt on you property from construsion sites.

and get the trucks to dump where you want berms and jumps and then rent a dozer for the day and shape it