Sign in to follow this  

countershaft oil seal question

I noticed my engine was leaking oil and discovered that the oil seal behind the front sprocket was completly gone. I ordered a new one plus the o-ring and I tried to pound it in, but it seems like the seal is not completely flush with the the engine case. Is it normal to be sticking out like that or do I need to pound it in more? Also has anyone ever lost one like that?

I got mine to go in, but one side is in further than the other and it still leaks.

:eek: Try using a socket that is just small enough to miss the case and tap it in...do not pound it in. Unless you are visiting CM67YZs old lady! :applause:

Can you get a pic. that would help a lot. I know the seal on my 06 is not perfectely flush.:applause:

I have just experienced the same problem. I think I may only need to replace the small seal that goes around the countershaft, inside the coupler thing. Often times when changing the Counter sprocket dirt will get into this spot. When I changes mine, the coupler stuck to the Countershaft sprocket and pulled half way down the shaft, when I pushed it back on it kept leaking. I looked at the little seal and it had gotten grooved from the splines.

I too was going to replace the bigger seal, but after reading this thinking I should just replace the small one (Honda calls it a “O” ring) and see if that fixes the small leak.

Just replaced one on a 2006 and it did not sit completly flush either...I know why ours went out we had a mud race and I didn't take the sprockett cover off I'm sure mud packed in behind it and completely tore it off I spent hours scraping out that little goove with a pick...Anyway ours isn't flush but I think it's in there right.