Sign in to follow this  

E/SM or SM

Hi All,

not sure how to start a pole so I'll do it the old fashioned way and just ask.

What what you do if either was possible (both can be registered);

Option 1: DRZ400E and buy a Motard Setup.

Advantages; Better Carb and Cams, Lighter weight.

Option 2: DRZ400SM and buy an Offroad Setup.

Advantages; Looks nicer, upside down forks

Please pick an option and state why.

Personally I'm leaning towards the E simply because it means less time having to upgrade engine components but the downside is the price of the Motard setup as an extra, where as the SM is ready to roll but has less "go" and I will also need an Offroad setup. My riding will be 60% - 70% Road and 30% - 40% Dirt.

Beware, the new 'E' models come with the same carb as the S/SM. They do have higher compression though. Personally I would go SM with a set of dirt wheels and then put the 'E' model base gasket in. Its a bit of work, but parts are cheap. You will never regret getting the nicer suspension. Check out my garage for a few options on what you can do to an SM.

Thanks for the replies guys, in Australia the stock pricing for both is very close, about $500 - $1000 between them.

Here in Australia our "E" still has the FCR not the Mikuni like the S and SM. So power wise there is a rather large difference between them. I just love the look of the SM especially the Yellow SM, unfortunately we can only get Black SM here but I guess it's not all bad cause the E can be registered!

Just not sure which direction, I will want an SM kit for sure just not sure on what.

i would check that the e i looked at had the 36BSR on it not the fcr

I just got a new 06 SM and had to buy the fcr mx from tt

if you can get a e with fcr stock i would go that route but thats just me

PS is there any write ups on the e base gasket upgrade may be looking at doing that next.<nm i found it i am a nub.

&%$#@!? 36BSR weird cause I keep hearing that we still have the FCR, even Suzuki Australia web site states the "E" comes with the FCR 39.

not sure thats in AU where i brought mine (i looked at it in the shop to make sure)only one of 06 out here that had fcr was the "S"

the E definitely still has the keihin carby in Australia, I bought a new 07 model in September (06) with the FCR and unless it has changed in the last few months they still have them on all E models as the ones for sale in my local stealership about 2 months ago still had the FCR (S and SM models had the Mikuni carb)

Unfortunately, it's a very tough cal.

SM wheels are the easy part on the E. The stock E suspension is inadequate for SM purposes, so you'll have to either rework it or get SM forks (they are great but hard to come by). Plus you'll have to update the E brakes, also inadequate for SM purposes.

Also the base gasket/cams advantage of the E does not stand if you are planning to get a big bore at some point since opening either engine will require a new base gasket and cams can be done at the same time too...

On the other end the SM needs quite a bit of engine work and is heavier than the E.

You have to determine what is most important to you. Weight, HP, handling to help in your choice.

To me weight came first, so I got an E, then suspension (currently getting SM forks and rear shock), then HP (undetermined at the moment for the E but thinking big bore).

the E definitely still has the keihin carby in Australia, I bought a new 07 model in September (06) with the FCR and unless it has changed in the last few months they still have them on all E models as the ones for sale in my local stealership about 2 months ago still had the FCR (S and SM models had the Mikuni carb)

my bad maybe thats how it was i knew only one of them had the fcr on stock i could swear it was the "S" i will check next time i am in the shop

sry if i give anyone a bum steer

No dramas Shadow, so how's the SM? Any reason you opted for the SM model?

i am a left leg amputee(above knee)so i do all my riding in the saddle(except when i have my moments lol)so i get to ride hard and have fun still with the SM plus travel on forks and clearance is good for outback OZ (where i live)roads chew up road bikes fast.I have had my SM on the dirt it runs fine(good thing is its dry most the time wet will slow down a SM on dirt) i dont think either one will let you down they are great bikes.

SM is a little under power but for the money its about right where you would expect(i put a fcr mx and full RS3 yosh on mine looking at doing the e gasket down the line a bit and i have a 44 rear sprocket coming in the mail.

"sry if i give anyone a bum steer"

dont be sorry for anything, I could be wrong since I havent been to the suzuki stealership for a couple of months now, suzuki Australia might be doing the E model with the mikuni now I can only say that last time I was in the store it was the FCR.

The stock E suspension is inadequate for SM purposes, so you'll have to either rework it or get SM forks (they are great but hard to come by). Plus you'll have to update the E brakes, also inadequate for SM purposes.

I understand that the brakes aren't up to snuff... but could you expound on the suspension? What exactly is wrong with the non-SM suspension for SM? If properly setup for SM, what kind of results are you going to have in the dirt?

I understand that the brakes aren't up to snuff... but could you expound on the suspension? What exactly is wrong with the non-SM suspension for SM? If properly setup for SM, what kind of results are you going to have in the dirt?

Great question, I have owned an E model previously and did plenty of road riding (non motard) and it felt fine to me, sure I didn't push it that hard but it seemed ok.

i am a left leg amputee(above knee)so i do all my riding in the saddle(except when i have my moments lol)so i get to ride hard and have fun.

:applause: Good on ya mate! :eek: