just put knobbies on

http://offroad.parts-unlimited.com/64/29/2748107 This is them. Loopey i know knobbies aren't meant for the road, but I hear people talking about the MT-21 and 606's all of the time, and to me this tire didn't look that much more agressive. So I figured what the heck I would try it out. So whats considered a true knobby? Are the Dunlop and Pirelli's not true knobbies?

http://offroad.parts-unlimited.com/64/29/2748107 This is them. Loopey i know knobbies aren't meant for the road, but I hear people talking about the MT-21 and 606's all of the time, and to me this tire didn't look that much more agressive. So I figured what the heck I would try it out. So whats considered a true knobby? Are the Dunlop and Pirelli's not true knobbies?

WOW I cant believe those are DOT approved :applause: I have a sakura dirt shark on the front of mine and it looks more street legal than yours. I think the back will be gone within 1,500 miles of street and the front should not be too far behind. 606's were great for hardpack desert riding and I cant wait to go back to them this summer once the heat bakes the high desert out here in oregon. Either way be very very careful with those on the slab:prof:

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a set of these Excalla 219's from the TT store. I figured since it's such a good price, why not. Do you have an update on the performance and durability of these tires? I plan to use them for 90% dirt and the occasional street ride. I will be riding in mostly dry hard dirt and rocks and fire trails...

http://www.partsmag.com/0512/0512-pdf/82_Excella-editorial.pdf

I bought the Exceellas on a whim. They are very good off road. The first street ride after pulling off the Deathwings was scary but I just rode easy and now after maybe 400-500 miles of on & off road I actually like them. They are not bad at all on the road now. The rear tire is probably 50% gone though, the front looks very good. With the Deathwings I couldn't even whellie over a mud hole or creek off road, they would just spin. With the Excellas just gas it and a little pull on the bars and right up and over. For the price I am pretty happy with them. $104 for front and rear shipped to my door. On the road they do wear fast. My two ridding buddies have KTM525's and the stock tires suck on the road. One has switched to the Pirelli MT21 and loves it. I think I am going to try the Dunlop 606 next and compare between it and the MT21. This is getting long but the Excella is a good tire once it wears in some. I ride pretty much 50/50. I like exploring paved roads and finding trails, popping back on the pavement and looking for more trails. But when on both I want the best of both worlds. There is no "perfect tire" for me but I like a DOT knobby after it wears a little.

I had the MT21's which were descent on road and dirt but didn't wear well. I now have two sets of wheels, one with avon distanzia's for the road and the other with 606's for dirt. The 606's are ok on the road and dirt but not great on either. Switched back to the Distanzia's today because I'll be doing mostly black top this week, took it for a spin and had forgotten how much better they are on the road then the knobbies... feels like its got twice as much power and acceleration.

I've got 1200 miles on my new DR-Z 400S, and for where I ride (30 on & 70 off), the stock Bridgestone's work pretty well. The "off" is only on gravel FS roads, no dirt to speak of really... My prob is that even these OE tires are already OVER ½ worn-out. I'm running 22psi in the rear & 18 in the front. No sliding, but some spinning on gravel just to feel the power...

What gives? Maybe this is the life expectancy of DS tires? (2000 mi)

Deathwings came off my DRZ after 50 or so miles. Have 606s front and back but will switch to something more aggressive when they wear out. I agree with Jim Hale on the 606s, ok on the road and dirt but not great for either. I also have the advantage now of having SM rims so I don't have to comprimise on the dirt tires anymore.

Just put the first set of real knobbies on my 07 E and it powers around the twisties. A S12 on the front and a Carlsburg on the rear. The feel confident, I am weary about wet roads but I understand knobbie limitations. You should look further if you 90/10 tyres are scacring you - pressures, suspension etc...

• 11 months later...

Update... finally lol. I have gotten about 1,000 miles on them, and I would say the rear is a little over half gone, and the front looks almost new. About 60% of those miles were pavement, but I definatley babied them to make them last longer. Don't expect them to last that long if you are hard on the gas and brake on the street. They became much more stable after 100 miles or so, just like everybody said they would. They work great in the dirt for the price, and OK on the road considering how aggresive they are. In my case (about 50/50 riding) the offroad performance increase did not outweight the on-road performance loss, so they weren't the tire for me. However, for people who ride 90% dirt, or those who don't care about wear issues and taking it easy on the street, they do fine.