Sign in to follow this  

just put knobbies on

I just put on a set of DOT knobbies, and I knew that it would handle different. But I was not ready for how DIFFERENT it would be! I headed for the first curve on my driveway, obviously slower than usual, and I still almost lost it. It felt like the front tire was pushing really bad, but ofcourse it wasnt. In a turn, the tire really wants to turn inward. Maybe the knobs are rolling some? The only knobbies I have been on were on KX100 about 7 years ago, so maybe this is normal? It sure does feel squirrly on pavement. I won't be going down the road anytime soon on these suckers.

What wheel / tire combo are you running? I had knobs on the SM wheels for a while, the rims are so wide that the tire is near flat on top. It actually handled really good, just took some getting used to as the bike resisted turning.

The wheels are stock S, and the tires are Excella OF219. I mean they are supposed to be 90% 10%street, so I'm not expecting miracles, but I don't wanna die either. I see what you mean by resisting to turn, but at the same time it feels like I'm about to wash out if I turn the wheel any farther

i just put 606's on mine and it feels like once you start leaning into the turn it wants to keep going, you need to break in the tire and get the knobs worn down a liitle, do a search and people say that they work great at 80%, my freinds tell me the same, i was warned before going for a ride what it would be like but, watch out for the rear brake locking up. but still fun, find a little dirt by the side of the road and your good to go.:applause:

i think maybe you should try something a little less dirt, i have never heard of those tires, maybe put a dunlop 606 in front and see how it rides.

My next tires will be a little less dirt. The only true dirtbike I have been on is that KX100 I mentioned, and I just wanted some true dirt tires to see what its like. I was tired of spinning and sliding everywhere on the death wings. Bajamoon, do you mean once you start leaning it wants to keep leaning farther? Thats exactly how it feels to me, I just couldnt figure out how to describe it.

I haven't had knobbies on the DRZ, but I had them on my DR200. They were 80% dirt, and they worked fine on the street. It was quite a change to go to all street tires on the DRZ. No more "man handling". I felt like I had to put the bike where I wanted it to be with the knobbies.

And I agree with bajamoon about the rear. Locked it up a few times (but then it was a 200, never really bothered me, but was always funny when the rear jumped up and down off the pavement).

Just in case you are wonder how well 80% dirt knobbies handle on the road, here's a little proof.

steph.jpg

Plus DS knobbies need to be broken in a bit before you can really tell how they're gonna work. Usually a 100 miles or so will get rid of any mold residue and break in the tire, then it'll work better.

They need to wear in. Right now you are on the tippy tops of the knobs. Once they wear you'll feel better. They arn't SM tires so don't go crazy.

Hey!... i wanna know how those tires turn out i posted a long time ago asking about them but no-one answered. There pretty cheap and look aggressive.

Depending on the knobbies, you will have a much different feel on the roadway. I went from death wings to 606's then to a Kenba front and Terraflex rear. The last feels like the bike is all over the place on nice, smooth pavement. Scares me actually. On the dirt, its extremely stable. I think what you experience is the difference between street and dirt tires.

Just curious, but have you tried varying the tire air pressure? I run 10psi front and 6 in back. Can make a difference depending on the road surface.

Hey!... i wanna know how those tires turn out i posted a long time ago asking about them but no-one answered. There pretty cheap and look aggressive.

I just took them out in the dirt today. They seem awsome, just realize I am comparing them to trail wings! I was chasing somebody on a CRF450 and wiped out hard, so I didn't get to take them out on the road any. I did ride my driveway (long and very curvy), and it will just take some getting used to. Hopefully they will get better as they break in like yall said. Ofcourse, hopefully I will get better...i hurt my knee pretty bad in the fall:confused:

I have had Karoos and now on 606's. Both handled VERY well on the road. In the spirit of there is no such thing as a stupid question...how is your pressure in your tires?

I just put on a set of DOT knobbies, and I knew that it would handle different. But I was not ready for how DIFFERENT it would be! I headed for the first curve on my driveway, obviously slower than usual, and I still almost lost it. It felt like the front tire was pushing really bad, but ofcourse it wasnt. In a turn, the tire really wants to turn inward. Maybe the knobs are rolling some? The only knobbies I have been on were on KX100 about 7 years ago, so maybe this is normal? It sure does feel squirrly on pavement. I won't be going down the road anytime soon on these suckers.

ur not SUPPOSED to ride knobbies on the street... TERRIBLE traction and cornering ability [compared to on dirt] and they get torn up faster than u can say D**N... they're meant for ONLY offroad riding circumstances and act terribly if on any roads [unless the roads are gravel] just dont ruin ur new tires man...

idk i ur idea of "knobbies" are... but im talkin about, for example, the Dunlop D756's [just to clear things up a bit] THOSE are true knobbies... meant for soft-intermediate trail/track riding... if u want harder pack cuz ur newer and will b riding less mud than i will [i ride mud and sand a TON lol] then ull want the dunlop D739's which are intermediate to hard pack terrain.... go on a tire website and check out their models and they'll tell u wat they're about... good luck :applause:

You are right LoopyJones82. If you have "true" knobbies it will be horable on the road. However if you 80/20 knobbies, then yes they can be used on the street, and from my experiece, hold up a lot longer then street tires. I didn't even have chiken strips on my knobbies on the DR200. But I liked them off road as well. It was nice being able to ride down the road and on a whim take it off road.

just take the bike somewhere remote and ride it to get the feel of the tires, I ride 100% dirt tires on all roads except highways. I have also installed green lime in them to balance them out and seemed to help a lot.

i run them there dirt nobbeez all da time on da stret.Whadyall flapin on about?sur, ya kant play raod racer wit' em,but i still run prudy dang qick.

Knobbies are perfectly rideable on the street--no problemo. Except they generally wear out quicker and some generate road noise. Many (most? all?) knobbies need to be "broken in" for 100 miles or so (until you do they can ride on pavement like they were dipped in oil).

Could you perhaps have pushed them too hard before you completed the break-in?