Sign in to follow this  

Another Crash

It was so beautiful today that I took off early to do a little riding. Got everything loaded, then headed down to Waynesville to ride the river trails. There was sand everwhere, from the flooding. My son was bugging me to ride some wheelies across the field. I find it a lot easier to ride them at speed. I was in 4th gear, and would snap the throttle to get the front up. I was pulling some pretty good ones too. I even got into 5th a couple times. Well, I was riding behind him as we went across another field. We were going about 30mph. I pulled another wheelie, and was pulling up beside him. Just then, my son decided to make a sharp left. I had nowhere to go. The right side of my bike slammed into the left side of his. It was a real hard hit. I went flying off the bike, and landed on my back. He got flung pretty good also. As I ran back, I was sure he was going to be hurt badly. To my amazement, we were both still in a little shock, but otherwise fine. Now the bikes are a different story. It tore the stator cover completely off my Husky, tweaked the forks, and the bars. It also put a nice ugly dent in my Pro-Circuit pipe. My son's bike got a cracked side cover(piece missing), broken front fender, and severely bent shifter. We were about a mile from the truck when it happened. I was nervous about running the Husky with no stator cover, but had little choice. I used some epoxy to patch his, straightened what we could, and limped back to the truck. I had just done a lot of work to get ready for the season. Now I'm out of action temporarily. I'll order the parts tomorrow, though. I'm just glad neither of us had any serious injuries. As hard as we hit, I was sure he would have a broken leg or foot. I'm a firm believer in ATGATT, and I'm sure that saved us from much more serious injuries. He sometimes complains, because I won't let him on the bike without proper gear. But, I think he understands my reasoning now. Oh well, we're down but not out. Give me a week, and it'll be good as new:busted:

Glad to hear you guys are OK. It sucks the bikes got tore up but better that than broken bones or worse. Bikes can be fixed but it takes much longer to fix "body parts". How old is your son?

Tough lesson to learn. Glad everyone is OK and only the bikes got busted up. I'll take that over body parts any time. How old is your boy?.

ATGATT? :applause:

I took it to mean: All the gear all the time??? but might mean something else

My son is 10 yrs. old. He's a pretty good trail rider. It was just one of those freak things. We were both lucky to come away unhurt. I certainly don't heal like I used to. I'm still mending from my last broken bone! I DO love the Husky, but it's still just a toy. Besides, I ordered the ignition cover and gasket today, and it was only $37.00 , or so. How much for a broken leg??? I really can't afford a new pipe right now. I think I'll take it off and try compressed air and heat. I took his side cover, and shifter lever to work today and repaired them. Now he just needs a front fender. I also loosened everything, and straightened out my front end. Honestly, it could of been so much worse.

I took it to mean: All the gear all the time???

Exactly:prof: I make him wear a minimum of a helmet, goggles, chest protector, gloves, and boots. He has more gear, if it's unusually technical or dangerous. I can't begin to count how many times it has saved both of us from injury. I wasn't always that way though. There was atime when you couldn't get me to wear a "brain-bucket". Life has a way of teaching those lessons the hard way. Plus, I must teach my son, and daughter, by example.

Maybe add some knee and some elbow guards......

Those type injuries are more common then we think and always painful in joint related areas..Nothing worse than a banged up elbow or sore knee...

We also wear kidney belts.

.People always say they never need gear and then .. bam..... dirt digger..

Add a nice decent size camelback ...Some are even a backpack style nowdays

Nick

hey huskyrider:

i've got a 00-01 cr250 pipe i would just give you....

also just fyi the shop i work at has a NEW PC CR250 silencer(PC pipe only)we'd be sure to deal on if your intrested.(cheap)

but no lie i will give you the pipe(schlecter, now that i think of it in the stock configuration) and silencer.they are not perfect but they may be of use to you,as i no longer have the bike...

i loved that bike, killer killer killer motor!! that thing shined on holeshots and the ice.that thing would run with the early (02)4-strokes all day.

pm me if your intrested.

but no lie i will give you the pipe(schlecter, now that i think of it in the stock configuration) and silencer.they are not perfect but they may be of use to you,as i no longer have the bike...

I really thank you, for the most generous offer. I don't know if I would use them either. I'm pretty happy with the set up I have. I have the FBF ported cylinder and piston, V-Force reeds, and the PC Platinum II and silencer. I've had a couple different pipes on it, but was happiest with the PC. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm sure someone on here could use it more than me. I was able to straighten it well enough for a while. It's not "PERTY" anymore, though. :applause: I also have a couple other silencers and the factory pipe, so I'm not out of action. I really do appreciate the offer though. I'll just get the PC when the funds are right. I agree with you about the motor. I never find myself needing more power:D It's been the most durable 2-stroke I've owned, by far. I've taken it to it's limits, too. The bike is awesome too. I'm just not a good enough rider to test it to it's limits. I do know it takes crashes pretty well:bonk: Seriously though, it is a really well-built machine. Heres a pic of mine:

husky.jpg

Catch you later......