Sign in to follow this  

Yet another jet/airbox question!

Picking up my new DR on Thursday- I'd like to do the airbox/jet mod because, well, I feel obligated to! Been reading enough about it and it seems like a no-brainer.

But, in my old age, I've gotten cautious- is this easy to do? If I have a problem, the dealer is not "around the corner".

I'm not concerned about the airbox, but drilling into the slide, dealing with jets, etc does have me a little concerned and/or confused. I noted that Jesse's site said that doing either mod W/O the other will hurt performance, not help it.

Thinking about just having an independent mechanic do the mod for me- I know the dealer won't do it.

Really weird, too, I used to race enduro/MX a LONG time ago and doing this would have been second nature- I used to rip carbs apart, do top-end jobs, rip the rear suspensions apart after each race, etc.

I think, more than anything, I don't have the time or patience to deal with any problems that might arise.

Any thoughts aor suggestions.... other than "sissy"!

I think you'll be fine. Its not a very difficult job, just take your time (probably 2 hrs) and it should be cake. It might be a good idea to get your hands on the manual (there are downloadable versions, try a search in this forum). You could pay to have someone install it, but cleaning/changing jets is a useful skill that'll probably come up sometime in the future so might as well learn it now then later. I also think its worth the peace of mind knowing you did the job right.

I would suggest you go to your local hardware store and see what they have in the way of plastic plugs, then hole saw a corresponding hole or two (safe guard or remove the filter first) in the top of your air box. I think Jesse’s removal of 80% to the top is overkill and difficult to reverse if you don’t like the noise/result. If you still think you want to butcher the top you can always do it later. I don’t recommend running off-road with the K&N filter or the side cover removed as that is a pavement only setup IMO. Let the flaming begin.

Bruce

Picking up my new DR on Thursday- I'd like to do the airbox/jet mod because, well, I feel obligated to! Been reading enough about it and it seems like a no-brainer.

But, in my old age, I've gotten cautious- is this easy to do? If I have a problem, the dealer is not "around the corner".

I'm not concerned about the airbox, but drilling into the slide, dealing with jets, etc does have me a little concerned and/or confused. I noted that Jesse's site said that doing either mod W/O the other will hurt performance, not help it.

Thinking about just having an independent mechanic do the mod for me- I know the dealer won't do it.

Really weird, too, I used to race enduro/MX a LONG time ago and doing this would have been second nature- I used to rip carbs apart, do top-end jobs, rip the rear suspensions apart after each race, etc.

I think, more than anything, I don't have the time or patience to deal with any problems that might arise.

Any thoughts aor suggestions.... other than "sissy"!

If you look at my post under the "Needle comparison" thread, you ll see that the other day I watched the movement of my slide, using a ShopVac as the vacuum source. I had previously drilled my slide. I watched the slide movement both with the extra hole opened, and with it sealed-off. There was no apparent difference in the rate of movement. For that reason I wouldn't bother drilling the slide unless you have a really open exhaust, and maybe not even then. On the airbox mod I agree with the other poster that removing 80% of the top is way overkill. If you enlarge the snorkel opening to a 1 3/4" diameter hole you will increase the airflow by 55%, or a bit more. That should be all you can use. I plan on putting an aluminum plate over my top opening, and cutting a 2" hole in it. I'm going to put a piece of rubber hose on there as a snorkel. I'm hoping for both adequate airflow, and a quiet intake. With the top cut out 80% the intake is noisy.

I see those vents (some with a filter) that come is assorted sizes.

Way back when- mid 80's- we used to drill holes in our airbox and insert 4-5 of these vents; looked really "trick" (I think that was the term!).

OK, so you can do Jesse's mod and either drill the slide, or not, and remove the amount he suggests, or less?

I would suggest you go to your local hardware store and see what they have in the way of plastic plugs, then hole saw a corresponding hole or two (safe guard or remove the filter first) in the top of your air box. I think Jesse’s removal of 80% to the top is overkill and difficult to reverse if you don’t like the noise/result. If you still think you want to butcher the top you can always do it later. I don’t recommend running off-road with the K&N filter or the side cover removed as that is a pavement only setup IMO. Let the flaming begin.

Bruce

To get flamed you are going to have to find a forum with younger much more arrogant users. It is really tough to start crap up with this mellow bunch.:applause: Even the old "What oil do you like" hardly stirs anything up.:eek:

Yeah, those are the ones. You can also get ones of all sizes (quite large, too) at HD & Lowes- soffit vents, and the like.

Yeah, those are the ones. You can also get ones of all sizes (quite large, too) at HD & Lowes- soffit vents, and the like.

Cool i didn't have any idea you could get them there. I'll have to check it out next time i go. :applause:

II don’t recommend running off-road with the K&N filter or the side cover removed as that is a pavement only setup IMO. Let the flaming begin.

+1 No flame here. I agree 100%.