Sign in to follow this  

Which one would you go for?

I have an 05 RMZ that i love how it rides on the track, I just sold my 02 CRF that i had modded to the gills to make it turn. both 450s I have been riding for about 4 yrs now and have done alot of track and now have started really getting into scrambles. I have found that going around the same mile and half track gets boring after a while. plus at my age 38 Im not as competitive on the track as i would like. But, i have found that in the woods I can hold my own and to be honest dont care where i finish just as long as i enjoyed the challange.

to my point. I am going to be looking at KTMs over hte course of this season and I was wondering which would give me the best ride on both the track and the woods? 450 sx xc xcw or 505 sx or the 525.

I am not looking for one that is street ready though.

Thanks for your input, I hope to try them all out over this season.

I kinda went through the same thing. Spend all day at a motox track for one hour of riding on the same loop. I still enjoy practice at the local track, because I can show up at five and ride till I puke. I really enjoy worcs races and two hour endurance races. Like you I enjoy the challenge. And nothing like a good 70-100 mile loop of tough single track with a fast group of guys.

I switched from 450's (yamaha, honda, and suzuki) for a ktm xc250fw. It's alot more fun to ride, and I believe I'm faster on it. I put a 315 kit on it and it's a sweet bike. Even with the 315 it's still mellow enough to ride all day and not get tired. I even look forward to riding the track with it!

I went to costa rica in jan and rode a 200exc for a week and fell in love with it. If all I did was ride trails I could live happily with that bike.

I quess I'm getting old, because I would'nt go back to the big bike. I ride for the fun of it.

I have an 07 450XCW and love it. It is perfect in the tight woods and great in fast desert stuff. On the mx frack it is a bit heavy. I think the perfect bike would be the 250sxf of xcwf it think it is. They are light and fun. I am in the process of my second forcer retirement so I might have some bikes for sale. I am going to go for the 250sxf.:applause:

Track! Woods and street? Certainly a 450EXC will do all but when you get to the track with the knobbys tires that you trashed on asphalt some little kid with a semi frest tire on a real MX bike is going to make you looks so bad your going to wish you where not there! Suspension soft enough for the woods is not going to cut it on the track. There is no bike that is going to do all well so you need to decide where your prioritys are! To have phun on the track you need to leave the street equasion out.

I am not a huge guy but Im big enough to through my 450 around. I enjoy the power of it and am not really a fan of 2ts. nothing wrong with them, my boys have them, but i prefer the 450s. i have found that i can catch my breathe on them from time to time unlike a 2t.

My style of riding has been evolving over the years and i am starting to prefer the woods more than the track. That is why I am looking for a woods bike, but I still like to come onto a track and nail the doubles and tripples.

I am looking at KTM because i really like my sons 65 and the workmanship that goes into it. Dont like the fact that it is hard to get aftermarket things for it and the stock parts are outragous in price. Still it is a great bike. The dealer is awsome and their service guys would rather tell you how to fix it on your own (at least for you to give it a try) before you bring it to them.

I want to stay on the bigger bike and like 450sxf I got to ride one the other day and really liked how it felt but, like the RMZ, was not to sure of the 4 speed tranny. I have to still get used to mine. I also got out on an older 505 and that was fun but it did not turn as nice. Felt like my CRF before the mods. i think the 525 would not suit me here in PA, I notice alot of guys on here have the 525 but are out west and in the desert.

There are a couple reasons I am looking at KTM. All around solid bikes, out the door ready to race, E start, and when you look at GNCC or other woods riding events KTMs are everywhere! that shows me that i should be looking at them.

I just bought a Ktm 400 exc and that bike rips. The guy who owned it before me put the Power Now on it and it doesnt have that thumper powerband anymore, it has more of a 2 stroke powerband. Its awsome.But the 400 is lighter than the 450 but the 450 has more power. The power to weight ratio kind of makes them both equal in power(thats my opinion). If your looking for a KTM 4stroke I suggest you pick one up because Austrian's sure know how to put together a bike, and they sure are easy to take apart.

Hey Dave,

He said he wasn't interested in the street legal version.

I agree with the poster who recomended the 450 xc as the suspension will be in between track and woods and will have a better compromise of power for the woods and track.

I have the 2007 xc-w 400 that I use on some tighter trails in western Washington and I think it's a awesome bike, but I think you'll need a stronger hit to jump those doubles or triples you say you like. The 400 is smooth and gets going, but I don't think it would be a good track bike.

"T"

Yeah I know trying to find the perfect bike to do both is hard. KTMs have SO many models and so many different things you can get in your bike from the plant. I am just trying to narrow it down to the closest one!!

I will be trying some out over the season and will make my mind up between this and next season. We have a Husquvarna shop here too and these guys love there bikes but i personally dont like the look of them. I know that sounds trivial but I need as much as I can to make ME look good!!

cfave: I went through the same exact thing. I was going from my crf and wanted something more versitile i.e. woods, desert and maybe some track. After much research I settled on the 450xc, This bike is great, single tracks well it is hard to stall in the tight stuff and with the 6 speed tranny, speed is never an issue.

IMO, the best all around bike!!!

Good Luck

Good, I will put that into heavy concideration! I have a few friends that have them so i am sure i will get seat time. Plus i think i can get the dealer to let me try a newer one out!