Sign in to follow this  

Engine temperatures - what is correct & OK?

Most of my riding has been in the "learner" catagory, hence relatively slow on trails, etc. My Vapor is showing engine temps of 180-200F if I maintain speeds over 15 mph, but run closer to 210-215F in the slow going. I've seen it over 220F once or twice. Bike is a green E and has no fan. The overflow tank fills about 1/3 up during a ride and is all pulled back into the system once the bike has cooled down. I hear no overheat noises that says the engine is actually overheating. I have mounted my Vapor temp sensor in the hose coming out of the engine, so I should be reading the hottest temp available (I'm using the hose going to the top of the left rad).

I ran a search on engine temps and found a couple of opinions/statements of fact/?? that indicated that on an S the fan came on at 205F or 230F, and the overheat light came on at 237F. I'd like to set my Vapor indicator lights to come on at both proper and reasonable temperatures. Right now, I have the amber warning light coming on at 210 and the red overheat light coming on at 230. Are these reasonable/proper?

Does anyone actually KNOW what temps are considered too hot and should trigger an overheat warning light and the engine be shut down?

What temps do the rest of you Vapor owners set for your temp lights?

Oh yeah, the temps drop rapidly back to around 180 when I get on the road and get speed to 35-40 mph or more.

Please, share your knowledge with me. I know some of you guys know these answers.

thankie

if i remember right, 1 pound of presure on the cap will add 6 degrees to the boiling point. EX... a 6 pound cap would be 36 degrees..+212=248

My Vapor show about the same as you are reading. I think I have the first warning light set at 210, and the second at 230. Every once in awhile the reading will show something stupid to the tune of 476 degrees, but I think the sendor is just a little screwy.

I think as long as you are not boiling over it should be OK, right?:applause: Interesting thing, a while ago I took the overflow tank off just to clean things up and noticed a bit of fluid on the ground under the bike everytime I parked and shut it off. Seemed to be about the same amount that was in the overflow tank everytime I shut down.

This had me confused. Why am I pissing out fluid? I never had an over heating problem but I put the overflow tank back on because I did not want to lose all my fluid (if thats possible in this scenario)

Vince

Too hot is when it starts to lose coolant. If it does not boil, it is not a problem. Kill the light. Pressure cap and 50/50 coolant boils about 265. Of course all the coolant does not need to get to 265, just a pocket in a hot spot. I'd say 230 on the gauge is about the limit. But if you stop the motor and stop circulation it will probably boil. So when it gets hot, you need to move more air past the rads to cool down.

Noble

Pressure cap and 50/50 coolant boils about 265.[Quote}

That's good info to file away in the memory banks. :lol:

onisko drz 400

...if i remember right, 1 pound of presure on the cap will add 6 degrees to the boiling point.

As is this. :lol:

viktobravo

I think as long as you are not boiling over it should be OK, right?... This had me confused. Why am I pissing out fluid?

On the not boiling over issue - I hope so.

On the loss of fluid - see my thoughts below. I think it's normal, but you need to catch it so the engine can pull it back into the system. Otherwise, you're losing fluid on each ride and will have to add it back in manually sooner or later.

EVERYONE - there IS a difference in the system pushing coolant into the recovery tank and boiling over - right? :applause:

Modern autos consistently push coolant into the recovery tank and then pull it back into the system, so I'm assuming that the bike should do likewise.

I assume if it boils over you'll hear that happening - right? :eek:

So, at the moment I'm going to leave my warning and overheat indicators set as is (210/230).

I'd still like to hear others' opinions on what temps are normal/OK/etc.

thanks all.

Facts mostly right but 1 psi suppresses boiling about 3 degF. It is a 1atm cap (14.7 psi) and the 50/50 coolant mix that gets it to 265.