Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust on the cheap

The previous owner of my new to me 05 S has taken the liberty of installing an Akrapovic Ti slip on.

From previous experience, I know that a full system is a nice upgrade. I didn't want to totally scrap the Akra, so here is what I came up with, work with me here:prof:

We all know the stock S head pipe stands for Sucky exhaust flow.

While exhaust flow at the midpoint junction between the muffler and header is important, it is not as crucial as flow within 12" of the cylinder head, as the pulse cools and contracts the farther away from the head it gets.

An earlier post showing a E and an S muffler side by side show that the tubing diameter is the same right after the joint anyway.

My idea was to get a used "E" or Kick pipe, cut off the muffler inlet flange and weld the stock S inlet flange to the E pipe, so it will fit inside of the Akra slip on I have now. Short of selling the Akra, this is the most cost effective way I can think of for getting the flow better.

The junction would be the smallest diameter of the system, but it beats the small S headpipe where flow is more important in the initial header area.

Any thoughts? :applause:

it will work, that would be the cheapest way to do it if and when you find an "E" header, what about going to your local muffler shop and custom bending your own header, my muffler guy does stuff like that all the time. that's my .002

can't you find some aftermarket head and mid pipe that will work better than stock? I think FMF sells that stuff.

The previous owner of my new to me 05 S has taken the liberty of installing an Akrapovic Ti slip on.

From previous experience, I know that a full system is a nice upgrade. I didn't want to totally scrap the Akra, so here is what I came up with, work with me here:prof:

We all know the stock S head pipe stands for Sucky exhaust flow.

While exhaust flow at the midpoint junction between the muffler and header is important, it is not as crucial as flow within 12" of the cylinder head, as the pulse cools and contracts the farther away from the head it gets.

An earlier post showing a E and an S muffler side by side show that the tubing diameter is the same right after the joint anyway.

My idea was to get a used "E" or Kick pipe, cut off the muffler inlet flange and weld the stock S inlet flange to the E pipe, so it will fit inside of the Akra slip on I have now. Short of selling the Akra, this is the most cost effective way I can think of for getting the flow better.

The junction would be the smallest diameter of the system, but it beats the small S headpipe where flow is more important in the initial header area.

Any thoughts? :applause:

Hi Bailey, :eek:

Yes.

The only difference between an E muffler and an S/SM muffler is the mounting flange...

drz400022.jpg

drz400023-1.jpg

The rest of the muffler including the tubing diameter and all of the internal baffles are identical. I know, because I've taken them apart... :lol:

Take Care,

Greg

• Like 1

Greg,

Thanks for posting the pic, that is exactly the one I'm referring to..

I just got the bike in the garage a few days ago. I will take akra off of the header pipe and measure it out. It seems to have more room around the S flange than the stocker, I'm not sure if an E headpipe will fit inside of it.

I'll see if it is "all gasket" or not, then post the actual I.D. using a caliper.

The akra doesn't use a seperate midpipe, it is all one like the stock mufflers.

Thanks,

Frank

Ok, just got back in from the garage (you know I had to go measure thing and couldn't wait.. :eek: )

Here is what I came up with using my dial gauge:

Stock S pipe inlet at junction ID: 1.70" same as Akra in, at 1.70"

Stock S pipe header flange as it goes into the slip on: 1.50"

"Stove" gasket material 0.10"

One inch after the junction on the Akra, OD is 1.670" stocker is 1.792"

7 inches after the junction on the Akra, OD is 1.875" stocker is 1.672"

And for the final analysis, after weighing the parts on a certified Weight Watcher's scale, I came up with 178.3 holding the Akra, and 182.0 holding the stocker. 3.7 lb difference between the stock S exhaust with end cap intact, and the Akra Ti slip on.. :applause:

I can't verify if the stocker has double wall tubing, which may be why it is so thick after the junction. Anyone know?