Sign in to follow this  

Best place to get a new Battery ?

My Brothers battery took a dump, one month out of Warrenty :applause:

Anyway where is the best place to get a replacement

Thanks

Sterling

I saw a couple of batteries on Ebay going for about $45 if memory serves. A hell of alot cheaper than I spent on my first one. Then I just bought a tender and I haven't had to worry about it.

The genuine Yuasa's are in the $90+ range. Aftermaket no-name ones can be had on the net and Ebay for about $50 shipped. Westco's are about $62 on the net from westco.

The last one I bought was from www.bikebatts.com but I've had issues keeping it charged as I've detailed on another thread - I'm not sure if it's the battery or my relatively infrequent short rides. In any event, I'd probably go with the guy currently selling on ebay (do a search on battery-DRZ) or this outfit:

http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-finder-list.asp?battery=160

Or I might spend the extra $12 and see if the Westco is better.

- Mark

It's worth the extra cash to get a good reliable battery... I just bought a Yuasa myself... very good batteries, but expect to pay $100 or more:mad:

In this forum... Now that's a shocker :applause::eek::lol:

Seriously though: what are the reputable brands manufacturing motorcycle batteries but cheaper than the stock one?!?

Is Westco one of them?

I just don't feel like going with the no name stuff on Ebay but the Yuasa's are just too much.

I just bought a bikemaster. $55 I don't know if it is any better or not. I have had poor luck with all of them. :applause: I keep a Tender on it all the time. But still seems like getting more than a year and a half out of them is expecting too much. I see Batteries Plus has them. They may have a warrentee available?

There is everyone getting these 40 dollar batterys. I looked at walmart, pep boys and walmart and they all have batterys that aren't quite the same. Will they work?? I call the bike shop and they are 65 to 130 dollars. Where do I look next? or can i slap a walmart battery in there? Has any one done that?? this may be a dump question but what is a TT store??/

You can use a standard 12v 7amp hour from Ebay. $7 each usally. Will last several years.

There is everyone getting these 40 dollar batterys. I looked at walmart, pep boys and walmart and they all have batterys that aren't quite the same. Will they work?? I call the bike shop and they are 65 to 130 dollars. Where do I look next? or can i slap a walmart battery in there? Has any one done that?? this may be a dump question but what is a TT store??/

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

You can't just put any ole Walmart generic garden tractor battery in your bike.They more than likely will not fit correctly.Dirt bikes are a violent environment for a battery and the right type should be chosen.The correct size class for the DRZ is a YT7B-BS.This is what you look for as well as the correct amp hour rating.

The battery needs to fit nice and snug in the battery box if it is going to last.Now you can get a less expensive lead acid type of battery in that size class for $40 but it will not last as long as an AGM(Absorbed Glass Mat) type battery that is more impervoius to shocks and internal sulfation which kills a battery in short order,but they cost more.

You can find some decent AGM batteries of the correct size for about $55 at Apex Battery.And use a smart charger like the Deltran Battery Tender to keep it charged when the bike is not ridden for more than a week.Also look into Noble's Free Power Mod to keep the charging system in top shape.

Funny, I keep hearing how great AGM batteries are (from dealers) but the best bike wrench I know stopped selling the brand he carried in his shop as he told me they don't hold up any better (despite the hype & added cost) than the older style, lead plate batteries. He tried selling them as most of his customers are Harley performance types (high vibes) same problem as dirt bikes.They did not hold up well. HD has engine vibes,dirt bikes ,suspension vibes esp.if ridden hard off road.. : )

Frequent use of a trickle charger will definitely extend battery life!

Just my 2 cents...joebiker 996

These guys have free shipping (to the USA, not Canucks)

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=760&osCsid=4c4b04c0a3a793ee7f7befe5ad2752c1

or here is a bigger one with 230 CCA. How many CCA does a DRZ need? I'm not even sure if the second one will physically fit in the battery box.

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=764&osCsid=4c4b04c0a3a793ee7f7befe5ad2752c1

Are these any good as far as quality goes?

Might as well get a battery tender too.

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=706&osCsid=4c4b04c0a3a793ee7f7befe5ad2752c1

Is that the right kind? Will a desulphating battery tender actually do anything for longevity?