Anyone watching Unclebob's Turbo DRZ build?

I know Eddie is trying to keep him headed in the right direction, and I saw a few familiar TT names there, but I was wondering how many other TTrs are watching the daily progress of Unclebob's turbo DRZ? His first dyno run netted 48.2hp/33tq at 6750rpms on a basically stock S...not bad considering he's still got a few bugs to work out...I sure wish I had time/place to do R+D like that...my creative time is always spent on a bit darker subjects thanks to my job...

Eddie, what do you think is going on in his dyno run? Is the spark strength suspect? You tried to tell him a while back about the cam timing...I guess we'll see how much cam timing really does matter now...

I hope Uncle Bob is at Moes 1st wed in April. I sure would like to see the turbo S.

OSITECH - By the way, did you ever hear anything from the guy in Vanvouver, WA that you sent the CDI boxes too. Ever get your CDI's back?

I hope Uncle Bob is at Moes 1st wed in April. I sure would like to see the turbo S.

OSITECH - By the way, did you ever hear anything from the guy in Vanvouver, WA that you sent the CDI boxes too. Ever get your CDI's back?

I don't think I did...He was mapping them and gonna build a better one wasn't he...

What I dont understand is how uncle bob blew thru is first cylinder? maybe i missed a post or something....... Though kudos to UB for undertaking this huge project by himself, Good luck.

IMO though i would opt for a B.B. stroker.....

"There's no Replacement for Displacement"

you can pressurize anything all you want,but the head only flows so much,the valves are only open so long and the piston only moves so much air.

his cam timing is way off becuase he used a cylinder spacer to lower the compression.there proably 1 or 2 hp left there.

he hurt his original topend becuase of jetting issues.

unlike naturally asperated 4 strokes,a turbo motor will most definately hurt itself when lean.

hes pretty much found the limit of 400cc's.

you can pressurize anything all you want,but the head only flows so much,the valves are only open so long and the piston only moves so much air.

his cam timing is way off becuase he used a cylinder spacer to lower the compression.there proably 1 or 2 hp left there.

unlike naturally asperated 4 strokes,a turbo motor will most definately hurt itself when lean.

When I turbo'd my Busa, I roasted parts on command.

I finally got the Fuel injection figured out with the help of a Power Commander and Wideband Commander. Built the engne with Carillo rods and JE pistons. Installed a block spacer to lower compression, heavy valve springs, and much more.

I cannot imagine the challenge/obstacle of using a carburetor, stock connecting rods, or any reciprocating stock parts?

I predict a kit with an intercooler (mandatory IMO) for a DRZ will cost more than the bike itself.

Dale

Would RHC cams make much difference?

also,as to spark i will have to see the dyno graph to make any comment.

i have dealt with spark blow out and it very identifiable on the graphs.

i also suspect the valve spring may not be able to hold the valves closed under such high boost.like valve float but from pressure.

My thoughts exactly. :applause:

I theory, maybe? In reality, no freaking way.

Gimme boost in any form I can get it whether it be positive pressure or N2O.

You wouldn't want to race your GTO or Mustang against a Grand National, would you?

You wouldn't want to race a 1800CC Busa against a stock displacement turbo, would you? Of couse you wouldn't.

Dale

There is never replacment for displacement. You can force feed anything. With equal mods a larger displacment motor has the potential for more power. That's just fact. With equal levels of tuning a larger displacement motor will make more power.

I theory, maybe? In reality, no freaking way.

Gimme boost in any form I can get it whether it be positive pressure or N2O.

You wouldn't want to race your GTO or Mustang against a Grand National, would you?

You wouldn't want to race a 1800CC Busa against a stock displacement turbo, would you? Of couse you wouldn't.

Dale

Like eddie said, package and tuning. But if I can get 475 or 500cc's out of a DRZ and push 60 hp, give or take, I'll have to go with the displacement over forced air induction. And I didn't know the made a 1800cc Busa???

Which reminds me of BMW almost 25 years ago trying to get one of their engines certified and legal to run formula one racing. They bolted the little 1.4 liter V-8 engine to the sanctioning bodies dyno and it pegged (and almost destroyed) the dyno at 2000 horsepower.

BMW was basically told to take a hike. BMW was looking to get some credit for being way under the cubic inch limit. They didn't fool anybody.

With 40 years of racing and building engines experience, I'll take boost over cubic inches anyday.

Dale

Like eddie said, package and tuning. But if I can get 475 or 500cc's out of a DRZ and push 60 hp, give or take, I'll have to go with the displacement over forced air induction. And I didn't know the made a 1800cc Busa???

They don't, but you can make one.

Dale

Don't know too much about 2000hp BMW's, but I have never really bought into the no replacement for displacement theory. I like forced induction, turbo's, blowers, nitrous. There's a little Ford that goes 0-60 in 1.7 seconds and it is a turbo 2.3L I believe. Doesn't last too long though, 20 hours, but I think it puts out 800hp :eek::applause: vanram