Sign in to follow this  

To many Choices

Heres the question. . .

Should I get a dirtbike, being either a Honda XR650R or a Suzuki DR-Z400E; Or should I get an ATV, being either a Yamaha Raptor 660-700R, or a Polaris Outlaw 525?

I live in New York, so mainly woods, mud, gravel pits, and powerlines. In my area there is a pretty even field of Bikes and ATV's.

I don't have alot of previous experience with either, but I have ridden my share of bikes and ATV's and I can't decide which would be better. Or which I would have more fun on.

I am 6'1'', 300lb with moderate experience in the offroad world. I wan't something that will be able to pull be really well, and only do a suspension mod to handle the weight.

As of now my only riding buddy would be my little brother on a CRF70F and I would be riding to mainly help him spread his wings, and to have fun of my own.

Eventually I would plan to use the full potential of either machine in any manner I could, off-road racing is an option in my mind.

So what do you think guys and girls? What should I do?

Heres the question. . .

Should I get a dirtbike, being either a Honda XR650R or a Suzuki DR-Z400E; Or should I get an ATV, being either a Yamaha Raptor 660-700R, or a Polaris Outlaw 525?

I live in New York, so mainly woods, mud, gravel pits, and powerlines. In my area there is a pretty even field of Bikes and ATV's.

I don't have alot of previous experience with either, but I have ridden my share of bikes and ATV's and I can't decide which would be better. Or which I would have more fun on.

I am 6'1'', 300lb with moderate experience in the offroad world. I wan't something that will be able to pull be really well, and only do a suspension mod to handle the weight.

As of now my only riding buddy would be my little brother on a CRF70F and I would be riding to mainly help him spread his wings, and to have fun of my own.

Eventually I would plan to use the full potential of either machine in any manner I could, off-road racing is an option in my mind.

So what do you think guys and girls? What should I do?

Heads up the DRZ400E, if you're planning on a new one, get the S model, then you have a plate, too. They both share carbs, suspension, cams and lower compression and exhuast system now, thanks to the EPA.

Only difference is tires (easy swap) and blinkers (those break off easily enough) and a few minor things here and there, but for the most part, they are the same bike (E vs S)

My vote goes for DRZ400S with a plate-dual purpose machine!:applause:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457148&highlight=07+E

after reading what I wrote earlyer, I saw how contradictory the question was. What I ment to say was, I have ridden both ATV's and Dirt Bikes, but nothing for a long period of time.

In the long run would an off-road dirtbike be more fun, or an ATV. And if you had to choose an ATV and Dirtbike out of the 4 machines, what would they be?

sorry

i have considered it, but at my dealer it is about a grand more then the others. i am not checking out the CRF450X. . . I am thinking maybe a smaller kind of bike, instead of the XR650R. because I will be doing alot of woods.

TT will give you an extremely biased answer. 98% bikes

They are two different machines for different types of riding (from the machines you describe)

If you are going to be doing any degree of hill climbs then a bike is the way to go and is most certainly more fun to ride and jump.

the ATVs in my mind have advantages in mud and water crossings. You can likely find ways around these types of obstacles on your bike.

I have struggled with this decision in the past - the answer is you need both. One for fun (the bike) and one for utility (the ATV).

The ATV will allow you to travel twice the distance by packing fuel and lunch and supplies... but it will suck big time in the fun factor.

In the end I would base my decision or vertical climbs/trails. you can always lean your bike over if you don;t make the hill. An ATV could be fatal with you trying to escape a mass of 500 lbs much less save the gooon buggy altogether.

fed007

Heads up the DRZ400E, if you're planning on a new one, get the S model, then you have a plate, too. They both share carbs, suspension, cams and lower compression and exhuast system now, thanks to the EPA.

Only difference is tires (easy swap) and blinkers (those break off easily enough) and a few minor things here and there, but for the most part, they are the same bike (E vs S)

My vote goes for DRZ400S with a plate-dual purpose machine!:eek:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457148&highlight=07+E

This is where my vote would go too since you can also have the fun of riding to other trails when your brother isnt with you or doing dual sport rides. You'll definitely need the suspension done though. Realisticly if you want to start racing competitively you'll eventually need to get a better bike than either you have listed, but the DRZ will give you a lot of fun until then.:applause:

ive leaned away from the DRZ because it seems to lack the power. I rather have to much bike for the first 3 months of riding, and then grow right into it perfectly after that. I don't want to outgrow a bike in 3 months and want another, because I plan to keep what I get for a while.

So do you guys think a CRF450X could do the job for me?