Sign in to follow this  

Tires for SL100

I have an old SL100 (Actually an XL100, but looks like an SL100) that I am working on.

The tires have plenty of tread, but the sidewalls are cracked. I'm having trouble finding inexpensive tires that are these oddballs sizes.

Front: 19-2.75

Rear: 17-3.50

Here are a couple of options:

1. Watch Ebay for the stock tires from a SL100. Most likely, they will be cracked and not good if you are going to actually ride the bike.

2. Run a 3.00 x 17" Chen Shin trials universal in the back and a 3.00 x 19" Chen Shin trials universal in the front. I think that Chaparral sells these tires for about $25 each.

3. Buy a used 21" front wheel and a used 18" rear wheel from a SL125 from Ebay ($25 each wheel). Run a 3.50 x 18" Chen Shin trials universal or knobby in the back and a 3.00 x 21 Chen Shin trials universal or knobby in the front.

The oversized 18" and 21" will fit on the 100, but if you want to spend another $25 - $30 bucks, buy a SL125 swingarm, brake rod , and torque arm (all 1" longer then the SL100). They all bolt on with no mods. If you go with the 125 swingarm, you'll have to add a couple more links to the chain, also.

Mainstream tires may be unavailable, but Cheng Shin has several different tires in your sizes. There are the trials type tread that I think are DOT approved. There are also dirt knobbies C755 hard and C186 soft. For all around use I think that the C755's are better.

I have an old SL100 (Actually an XL100, but looks like an SL100) that I am working on.

The tires have plenty of tread, but the sidewalls are cracked. I'm having trouble finding inexpensive tires that are these oddballs sizes.

Front: 19-2.75

Rear: 17-3.50

Check the AHRMA web site and it's ads. There's a company (forget name) that sells oddball tire sizes.

The tires on the bike have plenty of tread, but the sidewalls are cracking. :applause:

I would like to find dual-sport tires as this bike is plated and not much of a dirt bike... ever. Death wing trials tires are likely to bring up bad memories of them slipping out on my on my old Yamaha 175. They grip, then they go, no squirm. Not that I'm going to go fast on a SL100.

I'm still looking.

Here are a couple of options:

1. Watch Ebay for the stock tires from a SL100. Most likely, they will be cracked and not good if you are going to actually ride the bike.

2. Run a 3.00 x 17" Chen Shin trials universal in the back and a 3.00 x 19" Chen Shin trials universal in the front. I think that Chaparral sells these tires for about $25 each.

3. Buy a used 21" front wheel and a used 18" rear wheel from a SL125 from Ebay ($25 each wheel). Run a 3.50 x 18" Chen Shin trials universal or knobby in the back and a 3.00 x 21 Chen Shin trials universal or knobby in the front.

The oversized 18" and 21" will fit on the 100, but if you want to spend another $25 - $30 bucks, buy a SL125 swingarm, brake rod , and torque arm (all 1" longer then the SL100). They all bolt on with no mods. If you go with the 125 swingarm, you'll have to add a couple more links to the chain, also.

I have the wheels and swingarm I will sell you cheap. Allen