is anybody running a 16 front sprocket?

My husky came 13/50 at highway speeds it felt like it was going to explode I changed the gearing 15/47 and it is better but also strained at 65 mph now it tops at 95mph but the engine feels like its close to the red line I ordered the 16 front sprocket but I dont feel comfortable on the engine clearance, its too close, is anybody running a 16 front? Im planing a long baja ride and I need to mantain 80+ for long periods, something that I can do easy in the ktm running stock gearing 14/48

2007 Husky 510 TE (first impresion very strong motor)

2005 Ktm 525 exc (4000+ baja and sigle track miles and love it)

2002 DRZ400s (10000+ comuter and baja miles) sold

My husky came 13/50 at highway speeds it felt like it was going to explode I changed the gearing 15/47 and it is better but also strained at 65 mph now it tops at 95mph but the engine feels like its close to the red line I ordered the 16 front sprocket but I dont feel comfortable on the engine clearance, its too close, is anybody running a 16 front? Im planing a long baja ride and I need to mantain 80+ for long periods, something that I can do easy in the ktm running stock gearing 14/48

2007 Husky 510 TE (first impresion very strong motor)

2005 Ktm 525 exc (4000+ baja and sigle track miles and love it)

2002 DRZ400s (10000+ comuter and baja miles) sold

I'm impressed with anyone that can sustain 80+MPH anywhere especially in Baja. Too fast/risky for me. I've read the 16 will fit but you've got to trim the case guard for more clearance.

We ran 15/42 for Baja 1000. 16T was just too close for comfort and case guard wouldn't fit with it on. Red line with that gearing was 100 mph, but I would suggest long stays at that. We ran it in certain sections, but not allday long on both a TC 450 and 510. Other than on the highway in places, where are you planning on running 80 mph average in Baja? 15/42 makes first gear kind of useless if cow trailing thru rocks and such during your trip. Makes for more clutch slipping. Just an FYI there. Steny

Ran 16-48 at the Dakar Rally on a TE 510. If i could find some quality 44 tooth steel sprockets i might run 15-44 but only becouse it would save a small amount of weight.

For us 16-48 worked great. Lots of long highway miles - so it was nice to keep the rev's down while cruising at 65-70.

Top speed was just about 95mph--but that was with a big fairing, etc.

The real advantage isnt the top speed IMHO, its the lower rev range while doing those fast graded and paved transfer sections.

My cover bolts right up with 16 tooth, the guard did need some very very minor modifications.

Ran 16-48 at the Dakar Rally on a TE 510. If i could find some quality 44 tooth steel sprockets i might run 15-44 but only becouse it would save a small amount of weight.

For us 16-48 worked great. Lots of long highway miles - so it was nice to keep the rev's down while cruising at 65-70.

The real advantage isnt the top speed IMHO, its the lower rev range while doing those fast graded and paved transfer sections.

My cover bolts right up with 16 tooth, the guard did need some very very minor modifications.

Mike - based on your good advice as well as George from Uptite, I ran a 16/47 on my TC450 for a run from Santo Tomas to San Quintin. Had great top end speed. Was running at almost 90MPH on soft wet beach sand.

Had no problem with the 16T CS and stock guard

The bike was definitely lower revving.

Have to admit though the bike was way to tall geared for doing any single track and downright useless on any of the technical hill climbs that we took some side adventures on.

Taller gears definitely improves the speed but you suffer on performance in the tighter stuff when you need it.

Mike - based on your good advice as well as George from Uptite, I ran a 16/47 on my TC450 for a run from Santo Tomas to San Quintin. Had great top end speed. Was running at almost 90MPH on soft wet beach sand.

Had no problem with the 16T CS and stock guard

The bike was definitely lower revving.

Have to admit though the bike was way to tall geared for doing any single track and downright useless on any of the technical hill climbs that we took some side adventures on.

Taller gears definitely improves the speed but you suffer on performance in the tighter stuff when you need it.

I had no problems with fitting a 16T on my 05 tc450. No modifications necessary. I do agree with the above quote about "too high gear for single track, etc..."

CK

So Mike,

The last minute 16T front sprocket buy was handy :applause:

BTW, i still have for you that 1L fork fluid that i forgot to put in the box? ...i will give it to you next year :eek:

We will then ride in my favorite riding area !? ??

Thanks guys, I just put 16/47 the bike feels great like HuskyT said the bike was definitely lower reving but it still pulls very hard, Im concerned with the clearance with the Hydraulic clutch but only time will tell :applause:

Thanks guys, I just put 16/47 the bike feels great like HuskyT said the bike was definitely lower reving but it still pulls very hard, Im concerned with the clearance with the Hydraulic clutch but only time will tell :applause:

Let us all know please on the clearance issue once you have some miles on it please? I bought three 16T sprockets for the B1K, but my guys went with 15s instead. "Back in the day", I hate that saying, we ran 18/42s 04 18/44s on our 400CR or WRs in Baja for racing (70-75). I still have one, but dont use it on my 75 400WR. It was good for about 115 mph across lakebeds. Seemed really fast back in my teens and 20's. Still seems fast now in my 50's. You mounted a handle bar choke lever in case your bike started to seize. OR you just pulled the choke on and rode it in 6th gear until you slowed down, releasing the choke.

For trail riding, 18/48s. Could change out to a 15/14 when riding in mountains.:eek:

• 16 years later...