Sign in to follow this  

Gearbox Trouble

My 2007 250X just ate third gear. The bike only had 6 rides on it total. I have seen another guy at last weeks races with the same problem on his 250R. I'm just wondering if this is a systemic problem with Honda or just a factory defect (I'm leaning toward a defect). Has anyone had the same problem with their 250X? In any event I guess I'll be learning a whole lot about my Honda in the next couple of days. :applause:

I've read lots in here about eating 3rd gear on the crf's. Most folks run over 800cc's of oil in the tranny to avoid this issue. I run 850cc's, I have read others run as much as a quart. Do a search, you will find plenty to read. Although, you might be the first with an '07, not sure if Honda changed anything in the tranny or cases since '04 to address this. Others might know.

After putting a skid plate on my bike I noticed a very strange grinding noise all the time, I thought this was normal as people say the skidplate increases noise..

After adding over 800 cc's of tranny fluid the noise is a LOT quieter.. I would run a higher level of fluid for sure!

But no matter what you will be learning a lot about your bike soon, can not avoid it but I think it is a good thing!!

Really? I haven't seen any. Maybe Bodyman has trashed a set.

Just what I need ...something that has NOT happened to us....:applause:

Actually I have heard this before on the R models from MXer's landing jumps...3rd goed out or the rod snaps is common... I really think honda has a few bad gears floating around just like the Tranny output bearing that we had explode...

Just what I need ...something that has NOT happened to us....:eek:

Sorry.:lol:

If you guys haven't trashed one then there definately isn't a problem.:applause:

Thanks for filling in the details Agent. Due to the issues with the 450 many 250 owners are running overfilled tranny's. Better safe than sorry!:applause: