Sign in to follow this  

Anyone start ride from Estero Beach Ensenada Baja?

Hi all - I'm headed down to Estero beach with some friends this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone else has launched any coastal rides from here. Only of the bikes is street legal (not that it matters in Mex) Does anyone know if we can make the trails toward Punta Santo Tomas? Please include detailed directions. Thanks in advance for the replies!

Baja.

In years past Best in the Desert raced the Baja 300 out of Estero Beach Hotel. It was a lot of fun.

There where three different ways into and out of Estero--but its way way way way to hard to try to communicate the exact routes.

Heres the concept if you have Baja Almanac or just want to explore:

1) up the arroyo just south of Estero, under Hwy 1, up past the Baja Country Club, past the rock quarry hooking up with a rarely used route that connects to Uruapan area.

2) go south of Estero 4-5 miles and hook up with the narrow canyon that connects Uruapan area with Maneadero. Its the canyon Hwy 1 meanders thru on its way to the Uruapan cut off.

3) get on Hwy 1 south of Maneadero 2-3 miles and take a left at the main dirt road a mile or so before the now abandoned check point. The one by that big campground/recreational swimming pool. The left hand turn is north of the pool by a mile or so. It heads into a hidden farming district. Go up 5-6 miles and always go right at major forks in the road. After 9-10 miles there is one hard right hand turn thats easy to miss..so if the route suddenly ends, back track 1 mile and look for the turn. Its actually easier than it all sounds.

Anyway--get a Baja Almanac and you should be able to figure out these routes.

Once you are in Uruapan you can take a dirt trail that is only 10 yards or so from the highway on the west side. Entrance is exactly at the paved road turn off. Watch for one gate that is rarely locked. It will take you all the way to the big downhill entering the Santo Thomas valley.

Sadly you cannot take the coast line up from Punta Banda or Bufadora to Bahia Soledad and Puerto Santo Thomas. It could connect but there is a section of 1-2 miles without tracks and no easy crosscountry tracks.

Hope that helps! The owners of Estero Beach Hotel are big supporters of off-road racing, just FYI.

Thanks Mike - I have the Almanac and some of the trails aren't shown. Last time I staged at Estero we left via Helicopter and followed the race traffic - I wish I would have gone South to look for trails.

Baja.

I lead a ride up option #3 last year. One of the guys waypointed it. If you really want to go that way, you might be able to find a post on here with the route. Really fun ride.

I'll never understand why the Ensenada to San Quintin riders dont incorporate a bit of this stuff, especially option #3. Its gorgious countryside and really fun stuff. :applause: -- much better than pounding pavement to Santo Thomas--and it lets everyone 'loosen up' before the high speed stuff south to Erindira.

I lead a ride up option #3 last year. One of the guys waypointed it. If you really want to go that way, you might be able to find a post on here with the route. Really fun ride.

I'll never understand why the Ensenada to San Quintin riders dont incorporate a bit of this stuff, especially option #3. Its gorgious countryside and really fun stuff. :thumbsup: -- much better than pounding pavement to Santo Thomas--and it lets everyone 'loosen up' before the high speed stuff south to Erindira.

Anyone know who has the waypoint or track points to this???

A friend is heading down this weekend and was asking. Easier to find, than it is to build from scratch. :busted:

From what I can see (Baja Almanac);

Turn left at Los Olivos (Buenavista)

Continue on the road to Valle Lindo, Corral Viejo, and a right before Olas Altas.

Following that dirt path down to the Uruapan road out to the highway

... follow the highway via a dirt road parallel to asphalt to Santo Tomas.

:thumbsup:

I REALLY miss Baja...Maye I should change my name to Used2Go2Baja...:thumbsup: Oh well. Hopefully someone will post the points and I'll get to use them some time in the future.

Baja.