Sign in to follow this  

Need to drag brakes for 1 lap to get them to grab.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a 05 CRF 450. I need to drag my brakes for at least one lap maybe more to get them to start working. If I don’t the brakes just don’t grab. I cant lock up the rear wheel until I get them hot by dragging the brake. I installed new shoes front and back a while ago. I believe the EBC red.. The problem is more of a recent development in past couple of months. I don’t really remember the problem after installing the shoes. The problem may be the shoes but it is not something that started as soon as I installed the shoes. So before I go on a fishing expedition to fin d the problem I was looking for some clues to the possible problem. Anyone have ideas.

Thanks

Try this; pull the pads, sand them off flat again and clean the crap off the rotor. Youve probably got chain lube on the rotor. Use a decent spray brakecleaner. bleed the setup too. One problem can also be the line itself. It could be expanding/stretching. I put a stainless line on the front of my bike and cant hardly believe the difference.

For what its worth, I never liked those EBC pads. They never grabbed as well as the OEM pads, for me at least...

I don't like the after market pads either. The OEM stuff is better and is worth the few extra $$$.

Interesting that 2 of you said the OEM pads are better. I would have never thought that. But if I remember correctly after installing the brakes I did feel that they were no where close to as good as they were the first 4 months I had the bike with stock brakes. I just wrote it off to the bike getting older and figured the calipers or other parts were just wearing.. As for replacing the line with a SS one. I did that a year ago trying to get more grab out of my front brakes, I am not a big supporter of this upgrade. It did nothing for me and turned out to be a waste of $$. It did no harm but it also did nothing to better my brakes. They felt the exact same with the stock line. However, I did find that problem I was having at that time with spongy front brake, it turned out to be the master cylinder. Needed a rebuild..

Most manufacturers of brake pads (OEM, aftermarket, truck, car, bike, doesn't matter) recommend that, after you've cleaned the rotors and installed the new pads, you ride the bike on flat ground and slam the brakes on hard, get back up to speed, then do it again about 10 times. Why? To break the glaze on the new pads and to get them seated to your rotors. That helps you get like new brake performance.

everyone i know with a crf including myself has this same thing..the bikes are from 03-06 so i think its normal.

I need to drag my brakes for at least one lap maybe more to get them to start working.

Thanks

If EBC's Red bike shoes are made from the same compound as their "Green Stuff" & "Red Stuff" car shoes which I suspect they are then I would expect them to work as you have discribed.

They are made from a special compound that greatly increases the braking performance when hot only.

They are specifically designed for racing and require heating on a warmup lap to gain any/maximum benefit.

Before I knew about this stuff I fitted them to my car and whenever I used the thing in the morning to go work or run to the store it reacted as if I had almost no brakes at all, however, once warm they would almost stick me though the windshield...

Hope this helps...

everyone i know with a crf including myself has this same thing..the bikes are from 03-06 so i think its normal.

I never had the problem with the stock brakes (that I can remember). Stock the brakes worked very well I had commented to myself coming off of a YZ450 that the Honda brakes were so much better. That was untill the brakes wore out and I had to replace them. Never been as good since. This brake dragging thing is more of a recent development in past 6 months. I guess I will just replace pads with a set of stock ones and see if it corrects the problem.