Go easy on me, need advise on engine size

So, I'm looking at purchasing ... finally. I've narrowed my search down to the WR as 100% of my riding will be trail. I'm 6ft, 170lbs and a newbie. I did ride some about 15 years ago but I'm as good as green today.

I'm wondering about engine size, 250 or 450. This will be my first and more than likely last bike in a very long time so I need something that won't scare the crap out of me while I'm learning, but also something that I won't "out grow" in one season. I understand that the 250 is a very nimble, controllable bike but is that just too small for my size? The 450 is heavier and would be more demanding/tiring but has the grunt available once I become more comfortable.

Sorry about the question, you've probably heard it a million times but I'm really going crazy over this one.

Thanks.

I agree with Av for sure. I'm 6' and 200# and my WR250F has been great fun for me and I've been riding for 16 years or so. The beauty of the WR is that you can start out with it in relatively stock form and see how you like it. As you progress, you can start doing the modifications that are recommended such as the grey wire mod, airbox plug, muffler tips, jetting, etc. I think you will be very happy with the 250. :applause:

I weigh about 190 and ride A class in the woods. I wound up stepping my 250 up to a 290 and couldn't be happier. The 450s just weigh a lot and they wear me out.

I weight 165 and i too put in a 290 Kit in my WR. Mines an 01 and i absolutely love it. The power is perfect for tight stuff, it will open up when you want it to, it weights less, and the power isn't OMG get me off this thing! You do some free mods, powernow mod (Yes it's free if you make it yourself! lol) Grey wire, YZ timing, and just setting the suspension. Even my dad who's 6'4 and like 200 pounds loves the 250's, the power is usable.

You are asking the same question that I had 5 years ago. I am the same size as you and started out in the WR250F. First time back on a bike for me in a long time as well. I rode the WR for a year and it was great but I was doing more MX tracks than trails. I sold the WR and got the new 450 the following year. I thought my riding was progressing until I took my friends bone stock 05 250F out on the track, at the end of the 05 season. It was sooooo much fun and easy to ride. At the time I had another 450 on order...after much consideration, I called the dealer over the winter and changed it to the 250F...best decision I have ever made. Plenty of power and its much easier to ride. Ride it stock and if you find yourself craving more power you can start adding things like Hotcams, exhaust, big bore, etc to make it the way you like it.