Sign in to follow this  

Sunday, 3/18 DS long ride: Silverwood and lotsostuff east

Hi,

I'm taking my wife camping in a couple weeks and want to explore the riding conditions on the forest roads north of Big Bear. However, I'm going to take all the black diamond stuff I can find to the Fawnskin/Big Bear area, for lunch and gas, and then explore Holcomb Valley a bit.

As 9Lives says, if you've ridden 2n17X out of the dam parking lot at Silverwood and enjoyed yourself, you'll have fun on this ride. I will likely not take 1W17 towards Crab Flats, in the interest of making time, but lots of fun rollercoaster singletrack otherwise. In fact, later today or tomorrow I'll post a proposed route so you know what to expect.

When: 7:30am

Where: Silverwood Dam staging area off the 173

Notes: DS, about 60-70 mile range, less talking more riding :applause:

Post here or PM me if you plan to come along.

Can't make it, but I think if you're getting all the way up to fawnskin, you'll be putting in substantially more than 60 miles.

Can't make it, but I think if you're getting all the way up to fawnskin, you'll be putting in substantially more than 60 miles.

Yep, will be 50+ one way, hence the DS requirement for gas/lunch.

I could go Saturday if you change your plans.

Sounds like quite a ride, Rich.My bike's got a couple of issues right now and I wont feel comfortable on a long ride until I sort them out.Good luck and ride smart.

I'd be interested in riding , the S.B. mountain conditions are great right now.

Got my Carburetor re-jetted, no more full throttle sputter-spewing (yay)

PM me for time, place etc

Lazyracer

Crestline, CA

I'd be interested in riding , the S.B. mountain conditions are great right now.

Got my Carburetor re-jetted, no more full throttle sputter-spewing (yay)

PM me for time, place etc

Lazyracer

Crestline, CA

See first post in the thread regarding time/place.

Route:

7:30am from Silverwood Dam staging area.

2n33, hitting all the hard stuff the parallels the road, to Pinnacles

3n06

3w11

3w12

3w13

2n28y to 2n27y to 2w11 and across the T6 bridge over Deep Creek.

3n34 to Crab Flats

3n16 to Big Pine Flats.

Continue east on 3n16 (Holcomb Valley Road) to 2n09/Poligue Cyn Rd, drop down into Big Bear for gas and food, then plan the route back.

Is there gas in Green Valley?

Route:

7:30am from Silverwood Dam staging area.

2n33, hitting all the hard stuff the parallels the road, to Pinnacles

3n06

3w11

3w12

3w13

2n28y to 2n27y to 2w11 and across the T6 bridge over Deep Creek.

3n34 to Crab Flats

3n16 to Big Pine Flats.

Continue east on 3n16 (Holcomb Valley Road) to 2n09/Poligue Cyn Rd, drop down into Big Bear for gas and food, then plan the route back.

Is there gas in Green Valley?

Rich wish I could go looks like it'll be a fun day. Never been that far up on 3N16 or on 2N09. Let me know what 2N09 is like. If you have the time after lunch I'd recommend 3N17 to 4N16 to 3N14 to 3N59 then onto the best single track trail in the area 2W01. Then you get to play in Deep Creek doing the crossing at Devils Hole. Well enjoy your ride hopefuly next time I can get away.

Did you say this will be a dual sport ride only? Is the route all off road or is there some pavement that requires a plate? I'm just asking because I have two plated dual sport bikes and two off road green sticker bikes I could take on the ride with my son. Sounds like a great ride. It's been 20 years since I've been up that way and I always wanted to show my son around up there.

Did you say this will be a dual sport ride only? Is the route all off road or is there some pavement that requires a plate? I'm just asking because I have two plated dual sport bikes and two off road green sticker bikes I could take on the ride with my son. Sounds like a great ride. It's been 20 years since I've been up that way and I always wanted to show my son around up there.

It's a plated ride due to the range, gas requirements, (gotta go into town to get gas, or least hit some pavement) and I'm also exploring some street-legal-only forest road for suitability with my wife. Having plated bikes allows us to connect anything we like, basically.

Rich

It's a plated ride due to the range, gas requirements, (gotta go into town to get gas, or least hit some pavement) and I'm also exploring some street-legal-only forest road for suitability with my wife. Having plated bikes allows us to connect anything we like, basically.

Rich

That said, the ride will be green sticker to Crab Flats and would be about a 50-55 mile out and back ride for you. Excellent trails and conditions as well.

Doing a early 70 miler up there on Sat. Sorry, can't make Sun. But it sounds like my kind of ride. Have a good one!:applause::eek::lol:

Hey Larry,

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. Bike is rejetted, I have handguards now and the turnsignals are safely out of the way :applause:

I sooo want to go...I'll already be up in those same hills but with my boys and they are not ds legal....RATS! that is an awesome route...post lots of pics on your trip report aye?

Where can you get a good map of the trails / riding areas in the Silverwood area? From the Ranger Station?

Thanks!

Where can you get a good map of the trails / riding areas in the Silverwood area? From the Ranger Station?

Thanks!

I got mine from a staging area behind lake arrowhead. If you want to ride that area and check it out soon, let me know. -Dave