Sign in to follow this  

FCR35 - 3 race review

Well, I just got back from FLA/GA with my KLX and thought I'd give an update on how the FCR & Vortex housing worked. Before I left for my trip, I was inspecting the intake boot on the head, and it seemed as if the boot was larger than the output throat on the carb.....it was...about 1/8" larger in dia. I wrapped black tape around the carb, stuck it back in place, and all was well. I'm thinking that when I first had the carb in and was having probs with the bog, it could have been that the carb was angled in some direction other than directly into the center of the chamber. Anyhow, I did the 1st & 2nd rounds of the GNCC & the Alligator Enduro. The carb rocked!! I'm running the needle on the 4th, 155 main, 58 pilot (3+ turns out...need 60 pilot), 1+ sec. squirt. The bike started first kick every time with a little wick of the throttle to prime the cylinder. When the bike is warmed up, there were no hesitations at all!! What a blast!! Crazy power over stock....wheelies in 3rd with no clutch....kinda scary compared with the stock carb. There is no hesitation to full rpm when not lugging to large of a gear. Revs to the moon like a rocket! The only problems that I encountered were during the Enduro...a 80 mile race through the palmetto's & sand in Florida. I put the bike down a couple times in the sand at about the 65-75 mile mark. I was exhausted. The bike stalled on its side. When I righted the bike and opened the hot start, I had trouble restarting. I was a bit delerious (ran out of water...100oz), and opened and closed the hot start a few times while kicking the bike over. I couldn't get the bike started for 2 or 3 minutes, but I can honestly say that I didn't try to restart that hard. That was my only problem. The Vortex housing with jerry-rigged stock cable was awesome. The short action was easy to get adjusted to...even with the snappy FCR. It helped reduce the arm pump I used to get when twisting that stock throttle.

Well, that's it for the FCR...in, done, race tested and approved!!!! Just a note about the whole race trip....what a blast!!! Riding in the Florida sand was a blast...especially with the FCR...when in doubt pin it....when your need to turn, turn the bars and pin it. 3 races within a week...what more could you ask for....sunshine, race, Bike week, girls, race, beers, more girls, race, more beers, race, go home.....a dream come true!!

What a blast!! Crazy power over stock....wheelies in 3rd with no clutch....kinda scary compared with the stock carb.

Well, that's it for the FCR...in, done, race tested and approved!!!! Just a note about the whole race trip....what a blast!!! Riding in the Florida sand was a blast...especially with the FCR...when in doubt pin it....when your need to turn, turn the bars and pin it. 3 races within a week...what more could you ask for....sunshine, race, Bike week, girls, race, beers, more girls, race, more beers, race, go home.....a dream come true!!

Mark, glad you had a good time & that the FCR is all sorted out. Kinda makes a difference, huh? Makes you wonder &%$#@! the Kawi engineers were thinking putting the CVK on. Maybe they had an overstock of a couple hundred thousand CVK's or something. I think they would have sold 50,000 more KLX's in the US if they'd put the FCR on to begin with.

Have fun. Nevermind....sounds like you already are.

Thanks Bill! I couldn't have done it without ya. And thanks to Brewster too....the ticking went away....

I did a quick intake valve adjustment on one of the valves before I left, and upon reassembly & starting, I noticed a hideous click/clack/knocking noise. I removed the tank & valve cover, cycled the engine by hand, and noticed that the noise was coming from the compression release mechanism. The lobe that contacts the exhaust valve to create the compression release seemed to not "throw out" far enough when the engine was running, and was striking the exhaust cam bucket every revolution (when centrifigal force of the running engine should have been forcing/throwing the lobe out of the striking range of the bucket). Anyhow, at the time I called you & Bruce to see if this was common...thinking I might need to do something (new spring?). After realizing there was nothing I could do with only 12 hours before departure, I just loaded up the pig and headed South. I never heard the noise again after I went South.

Typical. For me it comes and goes. I guess I'll head south next time. I'm pretty far south already though. Guess I'll head down Mexico way.... :applause:

Glad she's working fine though! My FCR starts real easy too. Much easier than the CVK unless I give one to many wicks of the throttle. :-)

You know, just when I'm starting to feel good about getting the CVK dialed in, you guys come along and bait us with another FCR story. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and drop some cash. I should start another thread perhaps, but I was wondering what your collective opinions were on the bore kits. Which one would you recommend most? When the time comes, I'd like to bump up displacement and will likely do the carb at the same time. Just wanted to get the most useable power/best kit. Thanks.

Colorado, I'd do the carb first. Here's my story. We had 2 KLX's and my buddy had a KLX. 2 300's & a 340 (thumper racing) & all in need of valves. We took them to Jerry Leighton at FSW. The 340 got a 331. My buddies 300 got a 331 & FCR. My bike got a new cylinder (300) & FCR. Of all the bikes mine was the strongest. (Well, at least after a couple of months of screwing with the carb). The 300/CVK felt like a big, beefy KLX on steroids - with the same mannerisms and throttle "issues" as a stock well jetted KLX. Same vibe with a little more power. The 331/FCR was good and strong, but never got completely dialed in with the carb and so....my 300 w/ perfectly dialed in FCR was pretty much as strong and as "rev-vy" as the 331. Let's put it this way, my buddy was wondering why in the heck he spent the bucks on a big bore. Now, a 331 w/ a perfectly dialed FCR would be even better, but my point is that the FCR is the best performance bang for the buck thing you can do for your KLX. The FCR changes the "Personality" of the bike, which is something I think we're all fighting with each and every power mod. If you could get 50hp out of a KLX with a CVK, it would still be a gentle 50hp. The FCR gives you the kick in the pants attitude when and where you want it, while still being able to start and run cleanly. That's just my take on it.

On the bore kits. Unless you absolute love, love, love your KLX and can't live without it, I'd go to a 450. I ended up staying with the stock 300 bore because of the exceptional reliability and how well it wore. I was going thru sets of valves like crazy, but the stock nikosel (sp) bore was holding up exceptional. We had troubles with the 340 from TR. The cylinder wore oval and it burned oil pretty much from the get go. It uses a forged piston and personally, I wasn't too impressed. My son (it was his bike) said the 331 felt every bit as strong. Of course more is always more. :applause: At the altitude you ride in, I'd say a 450 is the way to go.

If I knew now what I knew when I first started doing mods, I'd have done them in this order:....this is the cheapest, most performance effective order:

1.) FCR Carb - $250-450 & free mods to breather, air box & butt plug

2.) spring the forks - $100 (I'd do the gold valve/shim too for $130)

3.) then all the other goodies if you thought it wasn't good enough....header, muffler, cams, flywheel, big bore

The carb is really the most impressive mod....bar none!!! You'll crap your pants....it's a whole new bike! The thing just rips!!!! I swear. I'd spent it on the carb way before a $300 muffler!!

Mark, people buy mufflers over carbs because they don't want to sit and fool around with it. They want a bolt on that takes less than an hour and doesn't require any thought or learning. Now, if you got your FCR for $250-400, you got a steal!!!!!!!!! Also, I don't thnk the carb would work nearly as well with the stock header. All flow issues need to be addressed and doing a carb without de-restricting the exhaust or putting on a header will not yeild the results that you and I are getting. (My opinion)

Wheelie on FCR brother!!!!

OK. I think I'm definitely on the same page as you guys now. FCR is a done deal.

As far as a 450 is concerned, for the past couple months I've been saving for a Husaberg 450. I rode my buddy's '05, and he's willing to sell it to me over time. There's another one available up north, but it's a long trip.

I am not going to lose the KLX, as it is still a great bike for me and is a killer spare to have on hand, but the 'berg absolutely rips. It is physically similar in size (small) to the KLX, but talk about power/handling/general feel.

Appreciate all the comment and wisdom offered. Just helps to confirm what I am thinking.

If I were to do all of my mods over again, the first two things I would do is the FCR35 and suspension. As has been said here before the KLX should have come with the FCR. It wakes the bike up and makes the bike much more enjoyable off road. I would have got rid of my KLX had the FCR not worked so well. I will probably still get a new bike in the near future as I have somewhat outgrown the green machine but may also keep it as it is dual sported and now so much more fun to ride.