Sign in to follow this  

Quick way to visually tell E vs. S

Everyone-

I'm looking at a DRZ400, have some pictures and the owner's not sure if it's an E or an S. I'm not familiar enough with them to tell for sure from the pics. What the easiest sure way to tell an E from an S just by looking at a few pics?

Thanks-

Chad

'01 KLX 300

The S will have a speedometer and will have passenger pegs and mirrors.

Well, usually if the bike has blinkers, passenger pegs, and a huge tail light, it is the S. But those things can be removed.

If the exhaust is stock, the diameter of the head pipe lets you know. The S also has a helmet lock on the subframe on the rear left side of the bike.

If you post the pics here, we'll tell you what it is.

If that bike isn't absolutely cherry, I wouldn't buy from someone who doesn't know what bike he has.

My E has passenger pegs, as it has an S subframe on. So best to check all the other things mentioned above. THe E also has the slide carb instead of CV.

Telltale for a stock S to a E.

Front left corner of the barrel. The gasket pokes out between the barrel and the engine case. If there is a rivet, it is a S, Unless it is a 07 Cali model. No rivet, it is eather a E or a modded S

look for a steering lock. it's exclusive to the s & sm models.

Good point! Unless someone swaps a E frame for a S (S frame will have a registerable title in all states) it is a E

Good point! Unless someone swaps a E frame for a S (S frame will have a registerable title in all states) it is a E

that's the thing about these bikes. everything can be swapped.

anybody looking at my bikes would have a hard time telling what model they are.

my e model has s model blinkers, headlight & taillight, and my s model alot of e parts on it, including tank, front brake assy.,etc..

but, my s still has that damn steering lock.

Also the cylinder head on an 'E' has a decomp fitting on the top left, to make it into a kicker if so desired... the 'S' does not.

I usually look straight for the passenger pegs or the protrusion with the two holes (since most rear footpegs on the S go straight to the dust bin) on the subframe for the passenger footpegs.

Easiest things to look for if you don't know your way around a DRZ.

E model has; plastic tank, grease nipples on rear susp linkages, fcr carb, no digital dash, no chain guard or fitting lugs on swing arm, no rad fan, no rear foootpegs or mounting brackets on subframe, is only available in yellow, some, if not all of these parts are interchangeable with a lot of effort but if it doesn't have the parts it should - leave well alone. If it's an E you are after then putting it back the way it should be will cost $$, also, you have to ask why someone would want to put a lot of S parts on an E (crash damage??)

Bottom line - get the frame number and any dealership will tell you for sure.:applause:

Any way you can scan and post the pics?