Sign in to follow this  

Riding/female specific workouts

I am going to start a workout routine for overall fitness, but would also like it to help my riding specificly. I am not over weight so I am not really interested in losing weight. I would like more stamina when I ride and to become stronger and better able to "man handle" the bike. I am looking for weight lifting exercises that are better for what I would like to accomplish. Any suggestions?

Thanks--Theresa

A few thoughts...

1. Consult with a good trainer at a gym to develop a plan for overall body conditioning. Not all of them are very good, so try to get a recommendation. Hopefully you can find someone who can relate to your needs but avoid focusing on just a few areas of your body to maintain balance.

2. I think moutain biking is great training but increasing your cardiovascular fitness by any method will help.

3. High intensity yoga/pilates to increase your core body strenth, balance and flexibility. The stereotypical gentle/meditative stuff is not what I'm talking about. The class I take is very casual but kicks by butt every time. This has helped me at least as much as the above two.

You will see on postings from Dr Mark on this forum with his advice that one of the best things you can do is invest in training. You should never aim to manhandle the bike - it's just wasting energy. The more you ride and the more skilled you get the less tiring you will find it.

I had the oportunity to watch Georges Jobe (5 times world champ from the 80s) race a season here in the UAE last year. He is my age (late 40s) and not super fit any more, but he would cream everyone in a 20 min moto in 40 degrees and come off looking cool and relaxed (as opposed to the rest of us wrecks) complaining that the motos weren't long enough!

Such are the advantages of skill.

Don't get me wrong - fitness helps loads, but don't make it an aim to manhandle the bike better.

Now where did I put that Gary Semics video...

:applause:

I am going to start a workout routine for overall fitness, but would also like it to help my riding specificly. I am not over weight so I am not really interested in losing weight. I would like more stamina when I ride and to become stronger and better able to "man handle" the bike. I am looking for weight lifting exercises that are better for what I would like to accomplish. Any suggestions?

Thanks--Theresa

Body Pump and/or Circuit training at the YMCA along with a few Cardio step classes. Get the heart rate up for stamina. Just my opinion...PT

You need strength AND stamina.

Strength actually is the training of nerves to fire when you want and also getting more muscle cells involved via innervation. Strength training also helps the load the tendons and ligaments can support which helps avoid injury if you do fall.

Now, you can do all the strength training in the world and be the strongest one out there, but strength training does absolutely nothing for stamina/mitochondria.

The only way you can develop stamina/endurance/mitochondria is via cardio work such as somebody mentioned with mountain biking and you must do it at least 20 min to have any affect. The most interesting thing is that while strength does nothing for the mitochondria no matter how strong or big you get, cardio will also improve strength as the SAME mitochondria developed for endurance also support the muscles for strength.

Do the core bodyparts once every 3-5 days depending on how fast you recover which will be DIFFERENT than other people in the gym because you will also being doing cardio at least 3x a week.