Sign in to follow this  

Another Recluse Install Story and a couple of Questions .

Hello TT'ers,

I purchased an 05 450x around 5 months ago, and have been coming up to speed technically. My other ride is an 03 XR 400, thus my first post in the 450X forum.

I have just recently installed the Rekluse Z-start on my 450. And yes TT was the best price that I found for this product.

First a few install Characteristics.

The bike is a 05 450x with mostly cosmetic/protective upgrades, disk guard skid plate and such.

I am second owner and have been told that the jets have been upgraded but the guy did not remember the actual size. The sides of the airbox have been carved out but the snorkle was not pulled (hmmm dubious).

I have yet to get into the carb, but intend to do so soon. The bike runs pretty well as is (a bit of low end bog/hicup). The bog is not bad enough for me to have made a correction as yet (not nearly as bad as the XR 400 had prior to installing the mikuni pumper).

This install instance was a Plain Rekluse Z-start install with no perch adjuster (yet). Currently using the short fat spring which seems to apply very light tension as installed.

The gap measurement after replacement all stock .062 drive plate with the

.047 plates supplied by recluse was still a bit sloppy (outside of reccomended specification) IMHO.

As the instruction indicated I replaced a .047 and re-installed one of my stock .062 plates. The intial result was a bike that (after inital breakin) would typically die 3 out of 5 times that first gear was engaged, and would tend to want to creep forward (not uncontrollably). I believed that this was possibly because that the Idle may have been set too high, so after idle adjust it seemed not to die as often when first gear was engaged. I made the call to take a quick ride at Prarie City after the reccomended breakin in first and second gear.

The bike and the Rekluse Clutch plate were impressive together but unfortunately the problem re-emerged in that the bike died in first more than I would have liked.

Rekluse also included a .055 drive plate for finer adjustment which I have now installed as a corrective action to the possibility that the .062 left to little gap and may have contributing to the bike wanting to die as first gear was engaged.

The inital result was good in that the bike did not die in 4 or 5 of the first attempts to engage first.

I have yet to actually ride in any terrain with this configuration, but I wanted to mention my experience to this point and close with a question or two before I apply the loctite to the ball bearing cover plate/screws again.

Q1- I would like to hear more from anyone who has used the Rekluse reccomended oil "Shell Rotella T" which is only $11 a gallon which I believe is cheaper than the honda HP. I would like know what functional difference I may notice when used no matter how minor.

Q2- I have read what posts that I felt had value on this subject but would like to hear any reccomendations that those who may have recently installed this product and share how you may have gotten over what challenges may have occured during your install.

Thanks to all to take the time to read this and to those who may be able to share their install expereince.

Q1- I would like to hear more from anyone who has used the Rekluse reccomended oil "Shell Rotella T" which is only $11 a gallon which I believe is cheaper than the honda HP. I would like know what functional difference I may notice when used no matter how minor.

Q2- I have read what posts that I felt had value on this subject but would like to hear any reccomendations that those who may have recently installed this product and share how you may have gotten over what challenges may have occured during your install.

Thanks to all to take the time to read this and to those who may be able to share their install expereince.

Q1 - I've not used the recommended Shell Rotella. I use Motorex's semi-synthetic. And it works great.

Q2 - Install a perch adjuster!! A huge addition to the clutch. I also left on my clutch lever, which to me is also an advantage to the Rekluse. You can almost use your clutch as stock in some applications.

I had some issues of recent of clutch drag on another bike, and had to re-shim the clutch pack. Immediately curing the drag.... (slack in the cable is also a huge deal when the clutch lever or perch adjuster is used).

I've installed 5 thus far, and continue to use one on my 450X.

:applause:

Ditto on the perch adjuster!...get it it will solve your issues. I ran into the same thing with my 250R got the perch adjuster and it was fixed.

Thanks for the reply fellas, I was holding that $100 out for the GPR stabilizer fit kit to make the transition from the XR 400.

Seems as though the external perch adjuster is pretty much a must to tune things in for a particular bikes nuances after install.

I have adjusted the included springs and stud to both extremes with little percievable tension or difference in the function of the bike when changed.

I will probably order the perch adjuster in the next day or two but the initial result with the

.055 plate was encouraging in the mean time.

Ditto on the Perch adjuster, follow the excellent instruction from rekluse web site, I would use the Shell Rotella T oil, I have compared oils and agree with rekluse tech support that it does run cooler.

Lastly and most important bite the bullet and buy the anodized rekluse clutch cover. You will not need to use there special gasket and you will not have to worry about the brake pedal penetrating the magnesium stock clutch cover and loosing your oil.:applause:

Bill Thornburg

1t

D38

I have also played with the tolerances. The initial install- I was on the loose end of the window with all ..47 plates, but it preformed perfect. Then I thought, after some riding, to put 1 of the ..62 plates in- clean up any predicted (by me) near future slip. Now it was on the other end of the window, those clutch plates didn't wear as fast as I thought- now I was getting stalls. So I went back to all ..47's and problem solved. I can occasionally stall when in real slow stuff stabbing the throttle, braking, stabbing in a short time frame, RPM's often very low.

I have the perch adjustment which to me is mandatory!! I have moments where I'm just hanging on and accidentally grab the throttle- quick grab of the clutch and I override any engagement.

What I have noticed lately is I have been doing some slow stuff, getting it really hot, and feeling the clutch slip. On my last ride I lost the "feel" in the clutch- when idling (the 1/4 in or so on the perch adj.) to nothing. But it works fine when riding even idling-just no feel that I'm grabbing anything. Haven't torn it apart yet, but did fiddle with the perch adj but could not get that 1/4" back.

I probably got those clutch plate cooking and got way too loose.

I'll pass on anything I find when I open it up.:applause::eek:

-Dennis

I had the Recluse for a short period. The install required a mix of all available plate sizes to get it in spec. This is critical to obtain proper performance and clutch function. It did it's job, and at some levels it was beneficial. I found myself having to constantly adjust the perch adj to keep it functioning at peak performance.

Be sure to install the outer friction discs in there respective order, and as for oil type, I'm sure that the Rotella will help, but it will not compensate for improper adjustment.

Overall I decided to remove it, and install the Magura hydro. clutch lever. To me this was one of the best things I did to my bike, and I have absolutely no regrets about selling the Recluse.

I installed the same setup on my CRX450R and love it! I can ride so much better now because I don't have to think about slipping the clutch on slow sections etc.

I installed the system without the perch adjuster at first and my bike died the first two times after kicking it into 1st gear. After adjusting the the spring tension for the third time the thing worked great! I then installed the perch adjuster and managed to get it correct as well.

My bike will occasionally die in 1st gear but not too often.

It was an easy install even though I took a bit of time to make sure I got everything right. If I had to do another install, I could do it in less than half the time but alas...I only have one bike to put one on.

By the way Slider69, I live in the Sacramento area as well and am looking for some great day trips to go on with my two sons (23 and 25).

Terry

Hey Terry where did you end up with your spring tension set at? Where meaning what position is the nut with relation to the Provided stud.

-John

John,

I have the spring pulled mostly out about as far as it will go. If I want to have it with less tension I will need to go into the clutch and install a thicker plate in order to get more clearance.

Terry