Scam or not? Looks fisht too me!

I have my boys bike for sale on TT. Ever since I posted it here, I have had a couple of the typical potential buyers, with the typical buyer questions for me. Now I have had 2 emails so far that look fishy. I will probably not reply to them because they are similar in vocabulary, and do not have the normal questions I might ask if I were looking to buy. Here they are, and let me know if anyone else has had an expireience with emails like this.

--------------------------------------

Hello

I saw your bike advert posted for sale

If still available for sale kindly tell me.What is the present condition,what is your last

asking price and My Model of Payment Is cashier Check sent to you which

i found Easy, I will be responsible for handling the pick up and shipping arrangement,I have a private shipper who will come over for the pick up as soon as the deal is seal. They will also be collecting and signing all papers regarding purchase and ownership of the item on my behalf.I am rest assured that they will handle everything well.I

would like you to get back to me with the following

details:

Full name....

Full contact address...........

ZipArea Code............................

State/Country..............................

phone number...............

Once the details are provided to me,i can send payment asap. i will be waiting for your reply asap .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

hello i am interested in the purchase of you bike ..i would like you to get back to me with the working condition and the total amount you are willing to sell them..cos i would like to purchase it as soon as possible..and i would like you to know that i will be making payment via a certified check..i would like you to get back to me with ur full name and adress where u want the check sent so that i can make payment as soon as i hear from you ok..kindly get back to me as soon as possible ok..hoping to read from you soonest..thx for the business.

lisa

scam

even if a bank approves a cert check as ok they can still come back and

remove the money from your account. I have seen this happen even after 4 weeks.

tell the buyer the bike will be held 5 weeks for the check to clear.

dep check in a new and seperate account. remove $ as soon as it clears.

close account.

then ship bike.

No, no, no, they are a scam, they are all over Ebay, craigslist, etc...

There is no reference to your specific bike, it is a

generic thing that is spammed out.

Do a search for "certified check scam"

i was thinking the same thing, if there is no reference to your specific bike it is probably a scam

These come from other countries and if you look at the syntax you'll see that they most likely used a translation website to generate that e-mail, I've had so many of these sent to me for stuff, it's a scam that you can report but they usually use free isp's so authorities can't trace the e-mails. They have become very good at what they do. Never give out your personal information to someone that e-mails you or calls you.

my .02

-Ryan

Thanks for the reply's. I thought the same.

Scary that people can get away with this kind of thing.

Replied to one of those - my inbox was filled with spam for many months, finally starting to taper off.

Think they are after email addresses as much as anything.

Those are obvious scam. I have got ones from criaglist that were worded exactly the sameas those. sometimes i reply back for the fun of it and just play with them for like 2-3 emails, then when they think it is thiers, i am like "###@@@@@@@@@@@@@ off Buddy, not a chance" lol.

always make sure the funds clear your bank before shipping anything! usally takes 3 or 4 days.

i have heard of scam where the scammer will deposit more than enough money into your account then ask you to return the overage which most people do - then the transfer will fail and your screwed.

be careful!!

Cash only with any deal, you can't trust cheques unless they have been confirmed from your bank 100%.

Just put Cash and Pick Up only and they should leave you alone. Might discourage a buyer, but hey better safe than sorry with these type of deals.

One of the ways this scam works is this: after you agree to sell your item, they say "I already have a cashier's check made out for $___ (a lot more than your price) because ___ (some bogus reason), I'll send it to you and please send the difference via Western Union (or some other untraceable money transfer service)."

They don't really want your bike, they want you to wire them some money. The forged cashier's check they send you may pass a preliminary check at your bank, but the bank where the forged cashier's check supposedly originated will bounce it as much as 2 or 3 weeks later. Your bank will then deduct that amount from your account, even though they initially approved the check.

In other words, you're screwed.