Sign in to follow this  

My '03 450 story...

Story short line,

Bought in Feb. '03 started racing every HS and MX (racing every W/E) in FTR series (goes from Sept - June), raced rest of '03 and all of '04 season plus started in '05 when the poor ole engine/valves just gave out (2+ yrs on stock, Honda Rules). Tore ACL in Dec. '05 surgery, blah blah, back racing in April '05 did the last 3 HS and MX 's. Been going strong on '06 and '07 racing and finally a valve went on the rebuild.

Decided to give my baby a 2 week overhaul and sticking the stainless valves, etc. in.

I will be using her strictly as a HS bike since I plan to buy me a pure MX bike just for MX racing................(Guess what '07 I'm gonna buy???)

Don:thumbsup:

I have a 02 with tons of hours, and finally had to do the valves... my left intake went to 0, and never touched the valves.. going the 2006 head and OEM valves and piston... but thet damn 06' head is on backorder right now.. :applause:

Here's my '04 Story:

Bought it new, uncrated and assembled it myself, kept it for 2 years and sold it with barley any hours on it (stupid job) in the fall of '05 to get an '06. It always ran awesome and never skipped a beat.

11 days later the moron I sold it to had blown the crank out the bottom of the cases, bent the subframe, maelted the right numberplate, and the rest of the bike looked like it had been sandblasted.

I bought my ’03 in October of 2003, and rode it almost every weekend on the track, trails, desert or sand dunes. In ’04 it came off my trailer (tie down broke) and got a serious case of road rash. 900 bucks later it was running strong again until last year when I rebuilt the top end with SS valves for 600 bucks. It still runs like it’s new. I don’t know why so many people are afraid that the CRF motors will come apart. I’ll buy another one.

The 03's are awesome bikes! I'd get another one in a heartbeat. This is the same bike which is now in the One Industries White Camo.

ChrisintheDesert2.jpg

CRF4502004.jpg

CRF450009.jpg

l_459c2139ef8fb6028e538375dac4eda9.jpg

The 03's are awesome bikes! I'd get another one in a heartbeat. This is the same bike which is now in the One Industries White Camo.

ChrisintheDesert2.jpg

CRF4502004.jpg

CRF450009.jpg

l_459c2139ef8fb6028e538375dac4eda9.jpg

Hey BrittB, how did you remove the paint on you ignition cover? Makes the bike look works!!:applause:

Here's my '04 Story:

Bought it new, uncrated and assembled it myself, kept it for 2 years and sold it with barley any hours on it (stupid job) in the fall of '05 to get an '06. It always ran awesome and never skipped a beat.

11 days later the moron I sold it to had blown the crank out the bottom of the cases, bent the subframe, maelted the right numberplate, and the rest of the bike looked like it had been sandblasted.

Ok, HOW did he do that? No oil?

Hey BrittB, how did you remove the paint on you ignition cover? Makes the bike look works!!:applause:

It was like that when I got it so I don't really know. You might be able to plastic bead blast the outside of the cover to get the effect.

It was like that when I got it so I don't really know. You might be able to plastic bead blast the outside of the cover to get the effect.

good idea!

My 03 is amazing, started racing it this last year after riding hard for the3 or four years before that and not untill now has any of the valves gone wrong, all are bang on except one exhasut valve had no clearance. WOOP WOOP go fo fiddy!!

I second that. My racing buddy and I got our 450r's at the same time one year ago. We use the same filters, ect. They both had less than 40 hours on them when we got them. My 04' has went through two valve jobs and two reshims. His 03' ...nothing. At 4 hours a week avg, that's 200+ hours on the stock valves on his 03'.

my 03 is still on original everything motorwise----rode it the other day after i completed the ap mod and it runs like a top since the day i bought it in late 02----and if it went south tommmorow i definitely would not be let down----because i have every motor part brand new on my shelf in the garage---well except for a crank---the parts have been sitting there for two years---plus i have a backup bike in the form of an 07 -----but ya if i were to find a new spankin 03 today i would pay what i paid for my 03 ---6100 cash

I just bought an 03 CRF450 a month ago or so but have not had a chance to ride it yet. Got a pretty good deal at $1000 for the bike. Needed a little but of love and care in the form of a subframe, exhaust, plastics and fork seals but she is almost ready to go. She is going to be my new motocross bike so I can just keep my 250 for my enduro and desert bike. My first four-stroke!! Pretty exciting!!:applause::eek:

I just bought an 03 CRF450 a month ago or so but have not had a chance to ride it yet. Got a pretty good deal at $1000 for the bike. Needed a little but of love and care in the form of a subframe, exhaust, plastics and fork seals but she is almost ready to go. She is going to be my new motocross bike so I can just keep my 250 for my enduro and desert bike. My first four-stroke!! Pretty exciting!!:applause::eek:

You will like it a lot! I don't ride my KX250 2 stroke much anymore as the 450 is more fun for me to ride. I will keep the 2 stroke because sometimes you do get in the 2 stroke mood and nothing else will work.