Sign in to follow this  

Mio or Ironwood

I am from around Chicago and in a month or 2 me and my brothers are going to go riding in MI. Which has better riding? I have heard alot of good things about Mio but not much about Ironwood, at least from people in my area. We are mainly trail riders but a track or 2 wouldn't be bad either.

Mio will be better riding in your time frame.

Not much for single track (ie trail) in the Ironwood area.

Are there any motels with direct access to the trails? I cann't seem to open the link on the MI DNR site for the trail map. We are either going to rent an enclosed trailer or an entire moving truck so we don't have to worry about thieves. (not that I have heard anything bad) Do they let 3-wheelers on the trails also? I have a 225DX that I would like to bring for light trailriding but I know some places don't let them ride and if we rent a truck we might as well bring all the toys.

HAve you ever heard o black lack trail system?They have hotels that you can ride to and from the trails and they have gas to. The trail system is awesome they have some very technical parts. You can ride on the shoulder of roads as long as they are not the main highways and roads (new ordinance). I have rode on every trail system in the lower peninsula last summer and Black Lack is by far my favorite. They are very ORV rider friendly. And it is great to be able to get back from the trails and jump in shower and not have to get mud in your truck.

Are there any motels with direct access to the trails? I cann't seem to open the link on the MI DNR site for the trail map. We are either going to rent an enclosed trailer or an entire moving truck so we don't have to worry about thieves. (not that I have heard anything bad) Do they let 3-wheelers on the trails also? I have a 225DX that I would like to bring for light trailriding but I know some places don't let them ride and if we rent a truck we might as well bring all the toys.

If you are looking for trails with access to hotels or cabins you should consider riding out of Luzerne. There are cabins you can rent that are located next to the trail head and in close proximity to a bar and gas. There is a good mix of ORV and single track in the area.

To chime in on the suggestions:

Mio and Rose City have hotels with direct trail access (Mio you need to double check with the specific hotel). Either place puts you in range of the Bull Gap and Meadows trail systems.

Black Lake is also a nice area with all the extras like campgrounds and cabins with direct trail access.

Three wheelers are no problem, long as the rider is over 16. Haven't ridden a 225DX in many years. Good friend had both black and yellow versions, nice machines in their day.

You do need a Michigan ORV sticker (aka DNR license) which is available online and at most sporting goods stores.

Spark arrestor and 94db for sound limit also on the "must haves".

ballsey move to ride a three wheeler on these whooped out trails u can do it but dont excpect to be fast.

I would like to thank everyone who responded. We are all masters of the casual pace. THe 3-wheeler is more for a flashback feel. It only gets ridden in the snow and maybe a very local ride around the neighborhood. I will talk to my brother about the places to stay. I am pretty sure Mio is going to be the destination. I googled Mio and was able to find the Bull Gap map off of a motels website. It looks awsome. Now we have to narrow down a weekend:thumbsup: . He doesn't have the net so I have to do most of the net leg work.

Keep an eye on the north forums when your weekend comes up. A lot of us post where and when we are riding, you may be able to get a guided tour.

That would be great!! I just have to get the rest of the planning done. I found a Bull Gap map on the Motel Mio site. That loop is huge!! I will have to pack extra 2-stroke oil for fillups. I am hoping to go on a slow weekend, if they have those. I keep hearing about the hillclimb, sounds like fun.

Its not realy a hillclimb. More like a long sandy incline. People race up it all the time. Good spot to smoke the piston on your 2smoker.

I have a feeling I will need a rebuild by the end of the year but I don't think I want to push it that far. No smoked pistons please.