Sign in to follow this  

2002 XR200R Suspension Upgrade

Ok..so, after bidding on two items with the need for only one, of course, i end up winning both....

I wanted to put a better front suspension system on the 2002 XR200R for mainly the purpose of obtaining a front disc brake and losing the drum - getting increased travel would be icing on the cake.

I now have two options....which is more preferable (suspension travel, ease of installation, etc.)?

1983 XR200R Front Forks/Triple Tree

or

1985 CR125 Front Forks/Brakes

Thanks.

Ok..so, after bidding on two items with the need for only one, of course, i end up winning both....

I wanted to put a better front suspension system on the 2002 XR200R for mainly the purpose of obtaining a front disc brake and losing the drum - getting increased travel would be icing on the cake.

I now have two options....which is more preferable (suspension travel, ease of installation, etc.)?

or

Thanks.

The 1983 forks are longer but skinnier than your 2002 forks. They will bolt on.

The 1985 CR125 forks are longer travel, thicker, but still not cartridge forks (I think 86 or 87 was the first year).

The stem is a little too long. Some shims fix that easily.

The CR125 forks are worlds better than the 1983 XR200 forks.

"O"

or

Thanks.

If it's a matter of choosing between the two, I would go with the cr125 forks. They're stronger and you gain the disk brake. I replaced the front end on my 81 xr200r with a set of forks from a 84 xr250. These were stronger than the stock forks, came with a disk brake and the best part was that no modification was needed, they bolted right up. Keep us posted with your progress.:applause: