Sign in to follow this  

Cam caps

I found for sale what is supposedly a "new" cylinder head for the 04-06 250's. But it is missing the the cam tower caps on the intake side. Would there be any problems encountered not having the original cam caps for the exhaust side. I don't think the head comes with cams. I feel like this is a stupid :applause: question, but I won't try to but it if there will be problem after I get the head built. Would I be able to use the caps off my original head.

No, no, no. You can not use the cam caps from a different head. Anything else but not the cam caps. They are specifically machined at the factory to match. It would be a huge gamble with these high rpm engines to mismatch that part. New heads that I have seen ALWAYS come with both caps for that very reason. We put new 06 head on our 04 from WMR, it came with new caps. The new heads have better porting and oiling features. So if you buying go newer.

if u use a different cam cap the bottom of the cap must be machined 3 thosandths ....cap must be bolted back on and then linehoned to the proper dimensions....very few shops can linehone a hole that small as most shops that linehone are setup for car engine blocks .......wouldnet be worth the trouble...in my opinion......but it can be done

No, no, no. You can not use the cam caps from a different head. Anything else but not the cam caps. They are specifically machined at the factory to match. It would be a huge gamble with these high rpm engines to mismatch that part. New heads that I have seen ALWAYS come with both caps for that very reason. We put new 06 head on our 04 from WMR, it came with new caps. The new heads have better porting and oiling features. So if you buying go newer.

That is pretty much what I was thinking.. Thanks for the info.