Sign in to follow this  

Centrifugal Oil Filter

While changing the oil , I came across these items in the manual :

Engine Oil Strainer Screen

Engine Oil Centrifugal Filter

With this notation :

" In the interest of safty , we recommend thses items be serviced only by your Honda dealer . "

Any idea where these are located and tips on how to clean the oil filter ?

the intervals are ridiculously far apart ( 1200 and 2400 mi ) but I thought I might just do it on the next oil change . This applies to both the 50 and the 70 .

Thanks for any input . :applause:

The oil filter is just a small metal mesh. Stick it under your sink faucet with the water flowing in the opposite direction of the oil flow. The centrifugal oil filter is just a small section in the clutch that spins and when oil flows through it, dirt and grime get flung to the outside of it and stay there. If your bike is over a year old and you've never cleaned it, you'd b very surprised how much gunk gets filtered out by that filter.

Cool ... thanks for the quick reply

So I do need to clean the mesh and spin cycle on the next change . Where exactly is the mesh and how do I access the clutch spin-n-clean ?

Thanks again :applause:

you will never need to clean these things.

well maybe not never but if you ever need to put new clutch plates in or something with the clutch just clean out the gross stuff under the plate thats held on by 4 phillips head screws(USE A IMPACT SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE THESE SCREWS!!)

The mesh is right next to the mating surface of the right case and the right case cover. On the bottom about as close to the drain plug as possible while still not touching it.