Sign in to follow this  

125 dies w/ choke off

i re-jetted the bike and now it starts very easy but as soon as i turn the choke off it dies out. it hasn't been rode for a few months but the gas is new. i cleaned the carb out 100% float bowl and all. i put alittle grease on the choke where it goes into the carb. i have the fuel screw out 2 1/4 turns the idle about the same. it's jetted w/ a 110 main and a 17.5 pilot. with the air box mod. it runs good with the choke off but won't idle not even for a second. i think i need to ride her for a while then play with the idle screw. doing laps on my street might not being getting it warm enough to get the correct idle. what do you guys think?:applause:

Thats exactly how I have mine jetted and it runs awesome, have you adjusted the idle up high to see if it stays running? How many feet above sea level are you? Try adjusting the fuel screw in one turn, either its getting way to much fuel or none at all, at least thats what it sounds like to me. Could your air filter be excessively dirty? Just throwin stuff up in the air. I actually removed my air tube to the carb and bought a uni filter that attaches right to the carb, the carb air inlet is so small on the ttr125 the more air the better if youve rejetted.:applause:

looks like a made a lair out of myself. it idles sweet now. but i do notice a slight ticking sound. i adjusted the valves a week or two ago. i did what the manaul says got it to DTC and got the valves within the limits. or is it i'm just being paranoid since i have'nt heard the bike run in awhile. lets say the valves are kinda to wide open, what could happen to the bike? just run bad, right?

You probably have a crack in the intake manifold. I ran a bunch a duct tape around mine until a new one came in the mail. You can also grind all the rubber off of it, then get some heater hose and clamp that on. One clamp on the carb and one on the metal part of the manifold.

Correct it's lean, but not just lean . . . a butt load lean. Meaning somethings out of wack. Usually air leak or fuel screw fell out or somthing similar.

no holes any where and no screws missing. it's not a loud tick just something i can here when it's at idle but with any gas i can barely here it if at all.

Try this. Spray brake cleaner around the inake and head during idle and see if the idle changes. If so, air leak. I already assumed you cleaned your pilot with compressed air, which is the number one problem with small carbs. Next, take off the air boot and try it. If that works, then your filter is clooged.

The same thing happened to my wife’s 125. What did you use to clean the jets? If you just sprayed carb cleaner through them the PJ may have still been partially clogged, the carb cleaner loosened the clog and after running it for a while it finally cleared.