Sign in to follow this  

Need More From My Crf70

I recently put my 11 year old on a new CRF100 and gave his CRF70 to his brother who is 10. The problem is, I'd like to get more grunt out of it, it feels lame to me and the boys are getting bigger. There seems to be big gaps between the gears.

I'm thinking of changing the sprocket size where it needs new anyway.

Any suggestions?

I went down to a 13 in the front and that was good. My son still never gets to the top of 3rd where we ride so I am looking at a bigger rear sprocket too.

The gap from 1st to 2nd is huge so we only really ride in 2nd & 3rd. It can only be fixed by changing transmission internals and so I have not considered it.

Go down on the front sprocket to a 13 tooth.

Get a pod filter, cut the spark arrester out of the exhaust if you're not woods riding (aka won't be a fire hazzard) and rejet the carb to match.

That'll really wake the machine up. Going to a 42 tooth rear is also doable with the stock 70 tranny if you really want some snap.

Last year I went with a 13t front on my son's 03 xr70. He really liked the lower gear. As stated, it basically makes it a 2 speed (2nd and 3rd), 1st gear is just too low.

This year he's getting dratv 88cc bigbore kit and a new cam. I'm hoping this will keep him happy for another season. :applause: