Sign in to follow this  

Best Choice for Bike Upgrade for son

My 16yr. old son has out grown his 05’ CRF150 in height (6'1" 150lbs.) and riding ability. He needs a 250cc. That’s fine only problem is he is hell bent on a lighter bike he can ride at the track with his friend. He camp and ride off-road allot here in the So. Calif. desert and I don’t want I bike he can not ride 5 months out of the year when we hit the road. I’m looking for a 03-05 to keep the cost down but still get an aluminum frame. The CRF250X is a good choice (pricey) but he claims it’s too heavy (26lbs. compared to the R) and it has a different stance and profile. Honda is 1st choice, Kawasaki 2nd, Yamaha 3rd and KTM 4th (again pricey). I was even entertaining the thought of a 2-stroke 125cc but don't know if it would have enough power to satisfy his young testosterone not to mention how embarrassed he might be riding with his 250 friends (heaven forbid). When I grew up I was trilled to ride what ever I could get my hands on. I read in one of these forums that someone said he had a YZ250F that was a green sticker. Now I read the DMV’s deal on VIN number ID for red vs. green. Which green sticker bike would you guys suggest to fit the bill? Has anyone every modified a red sticker 4-stroke to meet Calif. green sticker emission standards? Is it even possible? That might be my best solution. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

:applause:

Well dad as the buyer I would say to you get him what you want him to have, if it's not good enough, make him buy his own bike (my parents never bought one for me)

A 250x is a good choice for a lighter person, but I dont think it will perform at the track like he wants.

You might want to consider a 450X.......Im sure that will be fast anough for him, and he can grow into it.

i would say just get a crf250x, when his friends are all kicking their bikes after a wreck, he could just push the button, when his friends all put there bikes up because its dark, he can turn on his headlights. when he gets on the 250x he will love it.

The 250x is a sweet ride, you could have the suspension valved more aggressively if needed. He can buy a cycra front plate if he wants to ditch the light.

A cam/high comp piston...ect can make it run with the R's

The kid should consider himself lucky that you are even cool enough to buy him a bike......

You say a 125 isn't enough. What about a 250 two-stroke? More power and not much heavier.

You say a 125 isn't enough. What about a 250 two-stroke? More power and not much heavier.

Another good idea, you can find a green stickered 250 smoker, throw a piston and rings into it and he's set.....

The kid should consider himself lucky that you are even cool enough to buy him a bike......

no kidding, i worked my ass off for all of my bikes and didnt have the money to get exactly what i wanted, so i settled for what i could afford.

Another good idea, you can find a green stickered 250 smoker, throw a piston and rings into it and he's set.....

02 Honda CR250R same as the 03 but green stickered, realiable,cheap and ez to maintain :applause:

Thanks all for your input. If I had it to over again I would have bight myself a bigger bike (for better suspension) but my 230 is OK. I'm not that of an aggressive rider anymore. My friend and I have about the same amount of what we call the chicken factor. When we get to the bottom of a big hill our thought is not can I make up but how long will I be out of work if I eat it big. I have to work on Monday so that keeps me caution but I still tear it up a little to show the youngsters a thing or two. My youngest will move up to the 150 (after I sell the 80). I really I'm stuck on the green sticker because we primarily ride desert (Gorman sometimes). I have found posts on forums about the 250X valve problems, is anyone aware of this? I don't want something that's going to require continual adjustments. I found this deal, what do you guys think?

2004 HONDA, 250X, elec start, new SS valves & piston, Pro Circuit pipe, JD jetting, pro taper bars, complete guards, IMS tank, new tires, Scotts mount, well maint, trail ridden only, $3500 obo

Thanks again!

Get the bike that you would like to take out when he is not home :applause:--

haahaha I say go with the crf250r----it is fine for trails, and great for track.

Well if he wants to ride track and keep up with his friends then why not get a cr250F? OR a cr250? I have a cr250 but i am a little bit bigger then he is. I am 6'1 185. The bike isn't heavy at all, very light. Isn't the X for more woods then track? I ride my cr250 in the woods and it works perfect and i ride track. I know you're paying, but why not get somthing he wants and will enjoy?

Edit: Because if you dont, just think about all the bitching he is going to do if he gets the wrong bike. Saves you an ear full.

first off.. i would sit down and have him give you a list of bikes hes considering and ask him why he is considering thos bikes.. a 250x is a good bike.. i have never ridden one but i have had buddies own them and they can be very fun to ride.. especially with that e-start after a fall or stop. but if he is concerned about a weight then i would have to say get him a 250 2 stroke.. tons of power and not much more weight and can be found for a great price.

secondly where do you ride? green sticker red sticker can affect where you ride but someplaces do alow red sticker year around and some are very limited.. i have a new red sticker and im only off for 2-3 months out of the year..

2001 CR250R, green sticker 2-stroke.

2002 YZ250, green sticker 2-stroke.

2002 YZ250F, green sticker 4-stroke with 03 cam

2002 KTM 200EXC, green sticker 2-stroke

New, the CRF250X or WR250F would be the ticket.

(Note some of the older WR250's are not green sticker!)

Of all of those bikes, I would shop around for a "like new" 2002 YZ250 2-smoke. They are out there, just find a really clean nearly stock one.

If he starts whinning, get him an XR400 or DRZ400.

I was even entertaining the thought of a 2-stroke 125cc but don't know if it would have enough power to satisfy his young testosterone not to mention how embarrassed he might be riding with his 250 friends (heaven forbid).

How would he be embarrased when he right now rides a Honda haha!

jk but he wouldnt be embarrased since right now he rides a trail bike 150.

Then when he beats his friends in a race on a 125 and their on 250s his friends cant say Oh your bike is newer and more powerful.

Exactly! How could you be embarrassed with a 125 when you ride a CRF150F? :applause:

how can you say that it is embarrassing to ride a 125, 2 strokes are cool!

Just find him a good 2000-2002 YZ250/CR250 and take all the money you would have spent on the newer bike on tricking it out/getting motor work done. He wont care that its not brand new when he can ride it year round and he can hang with all of his buddies.

You might have to drive out of state but finding one for $2500 should be EXTREMELY easy.

Then you just get

1. big bar kit

2. pipe and silencer

3. new plastics and graphics

4. asv clutch perch/brake lever

5. new dunlop 952's front and rear

If he isnt happy w/that bike and those mods he shouldnt be riding.

Get the bike that you would like to take out when he is not home :applause:--

haahaha I say go with the crf250r----it is fine for trails, and great for track.

he wants a green sticker bike, the R isnt green stickered.

But that crf250x looks great and i say go after it.