Sign in to follow this  

Changing my sprockets!

I've decided that the gearing on my 400 is a bit high for the terrain I tend to ride... The guy at my local shop here says that dropping one tooth on the front is like dropping three and a half on the back, or rather, like losing most of your sixth gear.

Right now I'm running a 15/45 combo and planning to run a 14 in the front. Do y'all think I'm going too low, or should I start with a 46 or 47 in the back? Cost was part of it... a 14 front is 20 bucks whereas the rear sprockets are around 55 bucks.

What are some of the combos you people run? And for what lind of riding?

Thanks -d

I am running a 15 / 47 combo. It made 3rd gear more useable in the woods and still gives a road speed of 75 mph. (My bike is plated). The 14t is a cheaper way to go. I did what I did because the chain and sprockets needed replacing. I like a bigger cs sprocket as it is easier on the chain.

Glenn, thanks for the response. With that 15/ 47, how are the RPM's to your ear at highway speeds? Does the bike seem to be winding out? How is it on the steeper, more technical terrain? Can you go slowly enough to really navigate?

Your combo seems like a mid-point between where I am now and what I am considering... The wear on the chain is something I'd not thought of. How serious an issue is that?

I know, a million questions, but I'm kind of getting into this thing. Thanks again, -d

With a stock XR400, your gearing is going to be a compromise. Lowering the gearing for technical trails is going to wind out too high for hiway speeds. Do you really ride that much hiway?

When I changed my stock gearing, way back when, I found the 14/45 alot better for trail riding and it was cheap and easy to do. Just a chain slack adjustment required. As I rode that gearing awhile and started getting into more technical stuff and needed slow speed climbing grunt, I went to 14/47. Rode it that way til I put in the 440 kit.

I didn't like riding the 14/47 gearing over 40-45 MPH.

I like the 15/47 set-up.

Been using it since I asked the same question.

I ride a lot of single track gnarly technical stuff, so this worked out best for me.

If I were U, I'd buy the 14 and would ride it with the 14/45 gearing for a time. Then adjust from there. I think the 14/45 is gonna get U real close and very inexpensive. I just went from 14/47 to 15/47 on my 440 with pumper carb. I really like this combo. It was geared too low the other way. I like to ride a gear or two higher to smooth everything out.

yeh i found the 15/45 to high as well. at present i run 14/45 but might change to 46 or 47 rear just for slighly better throttle reponse. to stop my chain wearing out to fast i change the front sprocket 2-3 times before the rear is worn and the chain is to stretched.

I've decided that the gearing on my 400 is a bit high for the terrain I tend to ride... The guy at my local shop here says that dropping one tooth on the front is like dropping three and a half on the back, or rather, like losing most of your sixth gear.

Right now I'm running a 15/45 combo and planning to run a 14 in the front. Do y'all think I'm going too low, or should I start with a 46 or 47 in the back? Cost was part of it... a 14 front is 20 bucks whereas the rear sprockets are around 55 bucks.

What are some of the combos you people run? And for what lind of riding?

Thanks -d

Stock is 15/45. Mine only has 5 gears. How did you get six? Just take and divide it out. 15/45=3 so it's three teeth on the rear to one on the front. I run a 47 on the back 15 on the front. Lets me creep through the woods and still gitt it on the fire roads. Most people get the 14, 15 and 16 fronts. It's a 20 minute change depending on what/where you're riding.

The smaller you go on your front sprocket, the harder it is on your chain. While only dropping one tooth won't make that much of a difference, it may be something to consider. It will add just a bit more friction and shorter chain life by swapping front sprocket.

I run 14/48 on xr400 w/mods love the gearing, Ride mostly narly trails and lots of hill climbs works perfect...

was geared 14/45...

In my opinion adjust gerring to want ever type of riding u do.......

Well I changed mine to a 14 front and 47 rear and if I had it to do again. I would leave the rear the same. I now have to modify the chain guard cause the bigger rear sprocket rides really low on the teflon block in the chain guard.

Also if you add to the rear you'll need to get a bigger chain 109 110 pin.

Just a couple things to think about.

yep 14/48 is what Im running and for the more technical hillclimbs its great :applause: .I can still cruise at a comfortable RPM at around 80kmh[50 mph]which suits me just fine :eek:

Great discussion, folks. Very helpful. I'll proceed for now with the 14/45 plan and see how that works... thanks again. -d