Sign in to follow this  

freeway riding?

hi fella's, ive been lurking here for a while now, trying to get the skinny on the drz400s. i was looking to buy one and figured that reading the posts on here would give me an idea wether the bike was worth the money or not.

suzuki should put a direct link to these forums from their website, you guys basically sold me the bike, not the dealer.:eek:

well i just purchased a shiny new yellow one :applause: and im wondering if anyone has rode theirs on the freeway? here in michigan freeway speeds are 70 mph(ish). will this bike survive being rode like that? i know it lacks the cushdrive that alot of streetbikes come with so im stumped.

for instance, would it be smart to ride 150 miles down the freeway at 70 mph, let the bike cool, then head back?

thanks for yer help guys.

Glen

The bike will handle 70 all day long with no problem. There is no need to cool down or anything. [Although your body may want a break]

The problem I have with riding my S on the superslab is that I prefer to go a little faster than the normal flow of traffic. By doing this, I don't get pinned in or stuck following someone... and I never want to ride in anyones blindspot. It just seems to me that if I do 70 one of those things always happends to me.

So, for me to be comfortable on the freeway I like to go about 80. The DRZ can do this, but its certainly a strain on things. [the vibes get a bit ugly] Plus, if you want to accelarte around people, the 75 to 85 times are way up there.

For this reason, I either take the streetbike or take the backroads. Yes, its certainly can be done... but its just not my cup of tea on the DRZ.

gear it a lil taller and it wont have any problem. you could do it all day long on those motors. given of course you are on top of maitenance and upkeep.....which is minimal.

....and if your arse doesnt mind.

i use my SM as a commuter every day. 4500 trouble free miles to date.

thanks guys, ive been riding mx bikes for many many years now and this is my first ds bike. im pretty stoked about being able to make my own trails as opposed to riding the orv loops.

i must say though, the weight and 4 stroke motor will take some serious getting used to.

and it looks as big as a harley sitting next to my kx250 :applause:

lol

If you gear it up a little,15/40 would be a perfect combo for freeway riding at 75+mph. If you want to go the with a 16 tooth front sprocket, then 16/43 would be close. You might just want to try the 16 tooth front and see how it works. I have done 1100km in one day, wide open, tank after tank and it was no problem!! Good Luck:ride: vanram

I have an 04 S with 15/41 which I use for commuting. I run 75ish a lot. I have close to 16k on it with the only things needing done was a timing chain replacement (OEM ACCT) as well as drive chain and sprockets, plus tires. The 41 is nice because it's easy to drop to a 14 or 13 for off road grunt. I change oil at least once every 1k miles, often around 500-750 miles. So far it's been all good times. Good Luck and Enjoy!

I have an 04 S with 15/41 which I use for commuting. I run 75ish a lot. I have close to 16k on it with the only things needing done was a timing chain replacement (OEM ACCT) as well as drive chain and sprockets, plus tires. The 41 is nice because it's easy to drop to a 14 or 13 for off road grunt. I change oil at least once every 1k miles, often around 500-750 miles. So far it's been all good times. Good Luck and Enjoy!

What brand sprocket do you like for highway travel? aluminum or steel?

Jeb,

What size chain are you using for 15/41? The stock S is 15/44 @ 112 links, & SM is 15/41 @ 110 links. How much adjustment is left?

I stay off the freeway for the most part on my DRZ 400 SM. Why? Because this is not this bikes element at all. Sure it can be done and I do occasionally do just a 5 mile jaunt to the next exit just to check top speed etc.

The main reason I will not ride farther on this bike on the interstate is: The bike is not quick enough at interstate speeds to get yourself out of trouble if need be!! That is why I much prefer a sport bike over anything else for use in traffic or high speed situations. On a sport bike you have the power to instantaneously get yourself out of trouble, can pass cars rapidly, if someone comes up on you fast, you can get out of the way FAST. Of course one must have the capability to handle all this power. So, if you are a good rider, you are MUCH safer on a 600 cc plus sport machine on the highway.

Any brand, just make sure they are steel, both of them.

Neil. :applause::eek::lol:

Both steel, why's that? is it a safety or durability issue running aluminum?

I run mine with 15/38 on SM wheels. The FCR and Muzzy make it very nice between 75 and 80. No worries on the slab.

With trailwings I ran 15/41 (about the same as above). Without the fcr and muzzy it is a little fast it doesn't quite have the lungs. I did it but inertia needed to be factored in. With the mods no worries.

Vanram has an iron butt, no more than 1 tank (clarke) either way on the slab for me and I'm puckered.

I don't care for riding on the freeway myself. Here is why.

With my mods my bike accelerates hard between 60 and 95mph so getting around and away from others is not an issue. I weigh 180 and am 6'2. At speeds above 65 the thing feels like it's getting ready to take :applause: flight. Not the most aerodynamic of machines. Mechanically I believe it would go 80+ all day long. I just don't care for doing it.

CC

Bike will do fine and need no cool down time.Is it the best bike for freeway,No.But the DRZ will also do tight single track,is it the best bike for that ,no.That is what the DRZ is all about,being the Swiss army knife of motorcycles.It will do everything OK ,just no way it can excell at any of them.

Some people may not feel comfortable at freeway speeds because of the wind.I also felt this way until I got a small windshield to block most of the wind off of my chest.It will survive being ridden at freeway speeds.:applause:

for instance, would it be smart to ride 150 miles down the freeway at 70 mph, let the bike cool, then head back?

Glen

Good luck going 150 on a stock DRZ400S without stopping for fuel. I can go about 110 miles on mine before my tank is dry and that is if I am easy on the throttle.

My sprockets are steel, my chain has 110 links, leaves plenty of room for adjustment. Try a SM front fender to help stability at higher speeds.

I don't care for riding on the freeway myself. Here is why.

With my mods my bike accelerates hard between 60 and 95mph so getting around and away from others is not an issue. I weigh 180 and am 6'2. At speeds above 65 the thing feels like it's getting ready to take :applause: flight. Not the most aerodynamic of machines. Mechanically I believe it would go 80+ all day long. I just don't care for doing it.

CC

Yep, I have similar mods. Acceleration/speed isn't the issue after you big bore, but the bike is too light to deal with the wind and sustained speed. Plus I like to be able substantially accelerate faster then a normal car and truck.... sport bikes are much better for the highway. Actually my favorite place to ride my ZRX is on the highway due to it's top-end acceleration and weight.

Try a SM front fender to help stability at higher speeds.

+1 on that... no stability issues at all with an SM front fender:ride:

I don't understand the stability issue you are talking about. The only time I have ever had a problem other than from a gust of wind, would be going down a muddy road at 100km and it gets a little loose when you get off the throttle. I LOVE my DRZ on the road, you just have to gear up for the trip. I'm planning another 7500-10000km trip this summer, hope it pans out.:applause: vanram