Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning stainless oil filters

I heard most people use air compressors, so I was using mine, but it doesnt seem to blow out all the little metal particles. When you clean the reusable filters, do you guys get out every little particle? My air compressor doesnt seem that powerful to blow all the pieces out, I can see oil moving, and the pieces moving, but they dont all come out or they move around and find a new spot to chill. Thanks

Just shoot a little mineral spirits or carb cleaner through the filter. That should help with the small metal pieces.

i swish it around in a little container of kerosene keeping my finger over the hole, then i spray carb cleaner from the inside out, then air compressor with about 30 psi. It never gets all the flakes but its good enough for me

I plug the center hole with a paper towel. Soak the filter in a little varsol (paint thinner) then I use an old toothbrush to brush crap off of the outside pleats of the filter. I then resoak the filter and blow low pressure air thru the hole and backwards through the fliter. It's worked well so far.

would u guys recommed the ss reusable oil filters?:applause:

iguess its only good cause it saves u money..but is there any other benefits

would u guys recommed the ss reusable oil filters?:applause:

iguess its only good cause it saves u money..but is there any other benefits

yeah they filter smaller particals then paper(i believe) they save you money and (basing this off the same filters but in the auto industry) they flow better too. the paper ones are actually restrictive and the SS ones flow better while still filtering better

heres a link to the auto industries SS oil filter.(sry it has a lame ad before it but just mute it or something)

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/tenarticle.asp?aid=2990&sid=2

i understand that they can be different but they are basically the same product

also the only thing i dont like about them is that the real fine stuff gets stuck in the filter and i cant get it out.its not clogging it but it just bugs me.

i use the ready filter in my06 yz250f and havent had any problems with it. cleaning them is real easy. just spray some brake parts cleaner through it and then i use a air compressor to blow the cleaner off.

I plug the center hole with a paper towel. Soak the filter in a little varsol (paint thinner) then I use an old toothbrush to brush crap off of the outside pleats of the filter. I then resoak the filter and blow low pressure air thru the hole and backwards through the fliter. It's worked well so far.

The advertizements say that it has more filter material than a paper one and that it is higher flow with less pressure drop. I've even seen where it says they filter out smaller particles than paper But mostly I use it because it is re-usable.

Yeah, I was still elft with quite a bit of particles, I sprayed it with carb spray and the air compressor for a while and I was still left with a few particles (5 or so small ones) in each crevice