Sign in to follow this  

Needle change ....... necessary ????

'07 X, 48 pj, 165 mj, stock pipe (2 discs cut), snorkel out.

Is it necessary to change the stock needle ???

Will this change be significative ??? :eek:

Riding conditions: 0-2000 ft, 60-80 deg.

Thanks. :applause:

Honda has a bulliton on which honda needle they reccamend. I'm sure your dealer has the complete bulliton info. I would definately look at changing the needle.

Read the article The Wrench on here at the moment.

The guys that go to the JD kit for a needle all report a nice snappy motor.

I think the stock needle may on the Aussie model anyway be a poofteenth rich right off the bottom,but it is FA really.

The wrench report says go to the 5th clip position this seems drastic to me as i am at the 3rd,but but this is a big but i am at 170 main whereas the Wrench report is at 162 i think this could be relative.

Mine is an 07 so that could be some of it as well.

Honda has a bulliton on which honda needle they reccamend. I'm sure your dealer has the complete bulliton info. I would definately look at changing the needle.

My dealer sent a kit to me with:

- 48 pj

- 165 mj

- NCYS Needle (4th position)

- Zyp ty FS

So I´ll try to change the stock needle to see what happens.

Thank you.

:applause:

Read the article The Wrench on here at the moment.

The guys that go to the JD kit for a needle all report a nice snappy motor.

I think the stock needle may on the Aussie model anyway be a poofteenth rich right off the bottom,but it is FA really.

The wrench report says go to the 5th clip position this seems drastic to me as i am at the 3rd,but but this is a big but i am at 170 main whereas the Wrench report is at 162 i think this could be relative.

Mine is an 07 so that could be some of it as well.

I´ll try the NCYS on 4th.

Thank you. :applause:

Your setup sounds a little rich to me. There are some of us running the NCVS needle 3rd position.16233-men-671 NCVS, is an option needle found on a '04 450r fiche under carb option kit. its a popular needle. With a 42 pilot, 165 main, FS out about 1 3/4 to 2 turns. This is a killer combo. I know people who have done this setup and then went to the JD kit and said the felt no seat of the pants difference. I am extreamly happy with this setup. You should also jsut cut the whole top off of your air box ~ Scott

450X001.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

MKP your setup does seem a little rich to me,though it may work.

With your mods on an 07 most would be at 45PJ,at 1.5 to 2 turns needle at 3rd,and a 160 to 170 main or something like that.

Read Agent Smithsters fuel screw how to in the jetting database and go from there.

MKP your setup does seem a little rich to me,though it may work.

With your mods on an 07 most would be at 45PJ,at 1.5 to 2 turns needle at 3rd,and a 160 to 170 main or something like that.

Read Agent Smithsters fuel screw how to in the jetting database and go from there.

My dealer told me to use 48pj and 165mj. :eek:

I´ll open the top of the airbox and then see the colour of the spark plug.

Also have my CRFSonly Block off kit on its way home. :lol:

My dealer told me to use 48pj and 165mj. :eek:

I´ll open the top of the airbox and then see the colour of the spark plug.

Also have my CRFSonly Block off kit on its way home. :lol:

That pilot is going to be too rich IMO, and By the Way 90% of Dealers dont know Squat.

That pilot is going to be too rich IMO, and By the Way 90% of Dealers dont know Squat.

OK., I´ll inform the result after opening more the airbox top, installing the Zyp Ty fs and the Smog Block Off kit.

The factory needle jet should be fine with a 165 jet, you really only need an afternarket needle if your pick up (snaping the throtle open) results in a slight bog, you cam use a factory R model and get desired results, also a boysen accelerator pump cover will help with this problem.

Scoot, I think that Jetting kit is reccomended by Honda. Not the dealer. The pilot may be a bit rich but he'll be in the ballpark.

The factory needle jet should be fine with a 165 jet, you really only need an afternarket needle if your pick up (snaping the throtle open) results in a slight bog, you cam use a factory R model and get desired results, also a boysen accelerator pump cover will help with this problem.

I dissagree.

With the mods given the stock needle is crap.

The boysen pump cover masks problems with the leak jet

I dissagree.

With the mods given the stock needle is crap.

The boysen pump cover masks problems with the leak jet

I´ll ride this weekend with the airbox opened on top and report the results.