Sign in to follow this  

Suspension thing

The guy i bought my new bike from said that i need this thing that goes in between the front fender and the tire so that the suspension doesnt compress to much. i didnt use one for three years with my last bike and had no problems. Is it really necessary or no?

No, I have never used one. no problems here. Some say that its not good for the suspension to be compressed for long periods of time.

If you want to try it use a 4x4 block of wood. I just cut it to barely fit in between the tire and the fender, drilled a hole through the bottom end, and put some wire through it so I could wire it to the wheel, then tie it down. Those brand name plastic ones cost WAY too much for what they are.

Plus, I have unfortunatly made the mistake of compressing too much and blew out fork seals. Now that I use the block, tying down is less meticulous and the ridgedness of the bike is much better. Less to worry about when trailoring with other stuff on the trailor.

Newer forks dont hold up as well as forks prior to 1990. Save your money and seals and use something when tying your bike down. Or just keep replacing your seals.:applause: